THIS IS IN DEVELOPMENT - I AM NOT PROVIDING SUPPORT AT THIS TIME
A python based API for integrating the Amazon Echo to SmartThings
Requirements and setup
Local development environment
Your computer or virtual environment needs the following installed before you go any further:
To run EchoNestPy, you'll need the python packages specified in requirements.txt.
Once you have the above requirements installed on your computer, clone this repository, and run the following from the project root to get the environment setup for running EchoNestPy:
pip install -r requirements.txt
Setting Up Server
The Alexa Skills Kit (ASK) requires that the server has an open connection to the internet on port 443 (HTTPS) with a SSL Certificate (self signed is okay). Right now this runs in flask with out HTTPS but I am looking into changing this. One way to work around this is to use STunnel4 or ngix forwarding to accecpt connections on 443 and connect to the app on port 5000.
Setting Up Alexa Skills Kit on Amazon
The ASK is available at: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/getting-started-guide
- Sign in or Create an Account.
- Go to Apps & Services at the top of the page
- Click on Alexa
- Click Add New Skill
- Fill out the first form: ** Name: Anything you want it to be - I use Nest Control ** Invocation Name: The hotword to call the app - I have gotten it working with Nest ** Version: 1.0 <- This is hard-coded for now ** Endpoint: https://<domain or ip address>/alexa/EchoPyAPI
- Go to the next page and copy the intentSchema.json to the Intent Schema and sampleUtterances.txt to the Sample Utterances
- Go to the next page and upload the selfsigned SSL Cert you have.. and hit next..
Setting Up Nest Developer Token
Nest developer is available at: https://developer.nest.com
- Sign In or Create an Account
- Click on Clients
- Click Register New Client
- Fill out the form: ** Name: Anything - I use EchoPy ** Support URL: If you have a domain.. or github? ** OAuth Redirect URL: https://<domain or ip address>/alexa/oauth2 ** Make sure that you click on read/write on all options that you can (some are unavailable) and give a short description (you have to..)
- Click Update Client
- From the clients page copy the Authorization URL and put it in nestpy_settings.py as nest_auth_uri_1 (sample at SAMPLE_nestpy_settings.py)
- From the clients page copy the Access Token URL and put it in nestpy_settings.py as nest_auth_uri_3
At this point you should be able to go to https://<domain or ip address>/alexa/ and see a basic page.. If this works your'e good to go!
run: python echopy.py
At this time you will have to go to your Echo and say 'Alexa, Talk to Nest' (Replace Nest with what the Invocation Name you set). It should say that you are an unautherized Nest user and to check the card in your Echo App. Open the Echo app and look at the card there. It should give you what your User ID is.. (A bunch of random text)
Go to https://<domain or ip address> /alexa/auth/<Full UserId>
This should allow you to authorize it to control your nest. Login to your Nest account and Authorize it.. It should bring you back to the root Alexa page.
You should be good to start using EchoNestPy
The NestPy is another project that I have been working on that I am about to post to github that is a standalone python based API for Nest.
- Add chnage mode to Nest and Alexa for Away / Home
- Add better support for multi-Nest Households.
- Add check in time of inbound requests for security.
- Improve sample utterances
- Add better help.