Spearmint is a fork of ioquake3 with two main goals; 1) provide a flexible engine for creating new games and mods, 2) support features from (and running) various id Tech 3-based games.
Spearmint can be used to play Quake III Arena, Quake III: Team Arena, and Turtle Arena. Progress has been made toward running Return to Castle Wolfenstein (MP) and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory but there is still quite a bit left before it's possible. Spearmint is not compatible with existing mods (the QVM/DLL files) or demos (game recordings) for any game.
New Spearmint major releases (X.0.0) will break VM and network compatibility with previous releases.
Pre-built packages for Windows, GNU/Linux, and Mac OS X are available at the Spearmint website.
masterbranch is for Spearmint 1.1 development.
1.0branch is for Spearmint 1.0.x bug fix releases.
gh-pagesbranch is the Spearmint website.
Spearmint is licensed under a modified version of the GNU GPLv3 (or at your option, any later version). This is due to including code from Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
Submitted contributions must be given with permission to use as GPLv2 (two) and any later version; unless the file is under a license besides the GPL, in which case that license applies. This allows me to potentially change the license to GPLv2 or later in the future.
- Zack Middleton (main developer)
- Tobias Kuehnhammer (feedback / bug reports / Bot AI fixes)
- And other contributors
Spearmint contains code from;
- Quake 3 - id Software
- ioquake3 - ioquake3 contributors
- RTCW SP - Gray Matter Interactive
- RTCW MP - Nerve Software
- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - Splash Damage
- Tremulous - Dark Legion Development
- World of Padman - Padworld Entertainment
- ioEF engine - Thilo Schulz
- NetRadiant's q3map2 - Rudolf Polzer
- OpenArena - OpenArena contributors
- OpenMoHAA - OpenMoHAA contributors
- Xreal (triangle mesh collision) - Robert Beckebans
- ZEQ2-lite (cel shading) - ZEQ2 project
Please submit all patches as a GitHub pull request.
The focus for Spearmint is to develop a stable base suitable for further development and provide players with the same Quake 3 game play experience they've had for years.