ArangoDB is a scalable open-source multi-model database natively supporting graph, document and search. All supported data models & access patterns can be combined in queries allowing for maximal flexibility. ArangoDB runs on prem, in the cloud – anywhere.
ArangoDB Cloud Service
Oasis is the simplest way to run ArangoDB. Users can make deployments on all major cloud providers in many regions. Test ArangoDBs Cloud Service Oasis for free.
For the impatient:
Start the ArangoDB Docker container
docker run -e ARANGO_ROOT_PASSWORD=test123 -p 8529:8529 -d arangodb/arangodb
Alternatively, download and install ArangoDB. Start the server
arangodif the installer did not do it for you.
Point your browser to
Key Features in ArangoDB
- Multi-Model: Documents, graphs and key-value pairs — model your data as you see fit for your application.
- Joins: Conveniently join what belongs together for flexible ad-hoc querying, less data redundancy.
- Transactions: Easy application development keeping your data consistent and safe. No hassle in your client.
Here is an AQL query that makes use of all those features:
Joins and transactions are key features for flexible, secure data designs, widely used in relational databases but lacking in many NoSQL products. However, there is no need to forgo them in ArangoDB. You decide how and when to use joins and strong consistency guarantees, without sacrificing performance and scalability.
Other features of ArangoDB include:
- Use a data-centric microservices approach with ArangoDB Foxx and fuse your application-logic and database together for maximal throughput
- Flexible data modeling: model your data as combination of key-value pairs, documents or graphs - perfect for social relations
- Different storage engines: ArangoDB provides a storage engine for mostly in-memory operations and an alternative storage engine based on RocksDB which handle datasets that are much bigger than RAM.
- Powerful query language (AQL) to retrieve and modify data
- Transactions: run queries on multiple documents or collections with optional transactional consistency and isolation
- Replication and Sharding: set up the database in a master-slave configuration or spread bigger datasets across multiple servers
- Configurable durability: let the application decide if it needs more durability or more performance
- Schema-free schemata let you combine the space efficiency of MySQL with the performance power of NoSQL
- index support: exploit the perfect index types for your different use cases, including document queries, graph queries, geo location queries, and fulltext searches
- ArangoDB is multi-threaded - exploit the power of all your cores
- Easy to use web interface and command-line client tools for interaction with the server
- It is open source (Apache License 2.0)
For more in-depth information read the design goals of ArangoDB
Packages for all supported platforms can be downloaded from https://www.arangodb.com/download.
Please also check what's new in ArangoDB.
See our documentation for detailed installation & compilation instructions.
Stay in Contact
We really appreciate feature requests and bug reports. Please use our Github issue tracker for reporting them:
You can use our Google group for improvements, feature requests, comments:
StackOverflow is great for questions about AQL, usage scenarios etc.
To chat with the community and the developers we offer a Slack chat: