This sample demostrated how to upgrade Revit project/family/template to the latest version using Design Automation for Revit API, including upgrade one file or one folder.
Main Parts of The Work
Create a Revit Plugin to be used within AppBundle of Design Automation for Revit. Please check PlugIn
Create your App, upload the AppBundle, define your Activity and test the workitem with the Postman collection under Postman Collection
Create the Web App to call the workitem.
Web App Setup
- Forge Account: Learn how to create a Forge Account, activate subscription and create an app at this tutorial.
- Visual Code: Visual Code (Windows or MacOS).
- ngrok: Routing tool, download here
- Revit 2019: required to compile changes into the plugin
For using this sample, you need an Autodesk developer credentials. Visit the Forge Developer Portal, sign up for an account, then create an app. For this new app, use http://localhost:3000/api/forge/callback/oauth as Callback URL, although is not used on 2-legged flow. Finally take note of the Client ID and Client Secret.
Install NodeJS, version 8 or newer.
Clone this project or download it (this
nodejs branch only). It's recommended to install GitHub desktop. To clone it via command line, use the following (Terminal on MacOSX/Linux, Git Shell on Windows):
git clone https://github.com/Autodesk-Forge/design.automation-nodejs-revit.file.upgrader
Install the required packages using
ngrok http 3000 to create a tunnel to your local machine, then copy the address into the
FORGE_WEBHOOK_URL environment variable. Please check WebHooks for details.
Set the enviroment variables with your client ID & secret and finally start it. Via command line, navigate to the folder where this repository was cloned and use the following:
Mac OSX/Linux (Terminal)
npm install export FORGE_CLIENT_ID=<<YOUR CLIENT ID FROM DEVELOPER PORTAL>> export FORGE_CLIENT_SECRET=<<YOUR CLIENT SECRET>> export FORGE_CALLBACK_URL=<<YOUR CALLBACK URL>> export FORGE_WEBHOOK_URL=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT CALLBACK URL>> export REVIT_IO_NICK_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT NICK NAME>> export REVIT_IO_APP_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT APP NAME>> export REVIT_IO_ACTIVITY_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT ACTIVITY NAME>> npm start
Windows (use Node.js command line from Start menu)
npm install set FORGE_CLIENT_ID=<<YOUR CLIENT ID FROM DEVELOPER PORTAL>> set FORGE_CLIENT_SECRET=<<YOUR CLIENT SECRET>> set FORGE_CALLBACK_URL=<<YOUR CALLBACK URL>> set FORGE_WEBHOOK_URL=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT CALLBACK URL>> set REVIT_IO_NICK_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT NICK NAME>> set REVIT_IO_APP_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT APP NAME>> set REVIT_IO_ACTIVITY_NAME=<<YOUR DESIGN AUTOMATION FOR REVIT ACTIVITY NAME>> npm start
Using the app
Open the browser: http://localhost:3000, there are 2 ways to upgrade files:
- Select Revit file in BIM360 Hub from Source File/Folder, Right Click and select
Upgrade to Revit 2019. It will create a new version after successfully upgraded.
- Select Source Folder and Destination Folder, then click
Upgrade, it will upgrade all the files under the folder to destinated folder.
Main Backend API used
File upgrade API based on Design Automation API at routes/da4revit.js
- POST /api/forge/da4revit/v1/upgrader/files/:source_file_url/folders/:destinate_folder_url
- POST /api/forge/da4revit/v1/upgrader/files
- GET /api/forge/da4revit/v1/upgrader/files/:file_workitem_id
- DELETE /api/forge/da4revit/v1/upgrader/files/:file_workitem_id
- POST /api/forge/callback/designautomation
File/Folder operation API based on Data Management API at routes/datamanagement.js
- POST /api/forge/datamanagement/v1/folder
- DELETE /api/forge//datamanagement/v1/folder/:folder_url
- GET /api/forge/datamanagement/v1
User information API at routes/user.js
- GET /api/forge/user/v1/profile
OAuth information API at routes/oauth.js
- GET /api/forge/oauth/v1/url
- GET /api/forge/q/v1/signout
- GET /api/forge/oauth/v1/token
- GET /api/forge/oauth/v1/clientid
- GET /api/forge/callback/oauth
This sample is based on Learn Forge Tutorial, please check details there about the basic framework if you are not familar.
Data Management API
After installing Github desktop for Windows, on the Git Shell, if you see a error setting certificate verify locations error, use the following:
git config --global http.sslverify "false"
- For Demo purpose, we only support 5 files to be upgraded as maximum
- Only support upgrading to Revit 2019
- Override is not implemented yet
- Only support upgrade file from/to BIM360