NuGet Feed for CI build: https://ci.appveyor.com/nuget/open-xml-powertools
No NuGet.org feed at this time. We are working on it.
Welcome, Open-Xml-PowerTools users. As you may have learned from the repo at OfficeDev/Open-Xml-PowerTools, Microsoft is going to archive that repo, and will not be maintaining that repo in the future. The good folks at Microsoft asked if I would maintain this repo going forward, and I said "yes, absolutely".
There are two relevant branches in this repo:
- I have merged vNext into master. If you were using the OfficeDev/Open-Xml-PowerTools vNext branch, and if you want to keep using the same code, use the master branch.
- As of right now, the vNext branch is even with master. However, that is going to change in the next day or two - I am going to commit the updated, refactored DocumentAssembler.
Unfortunately, this development came right as I am starting a 10-day vacation, so will need to balance making the necessary enhancements with my other vacation activities! But stay tuned, I expect to make progress in the next couple of days.
I will post major announcements here in the README.md, but if you want to stay more abreast of developments, follow my blog at www.ericwhite.com/blog. Also, follow me on twitter: @EricWhiteDev.
The Open XML PowerTools provides guidance and example code for programming with Open XML Documents (DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX). It is based on, and extends the functionality of the Open XML SDK.
It supports scenarios such as:
- Splitting DOCX/PPTX files into multiple files.
- Combining multiple DOCX/PPTX files into a single file.
- Populating content in template DOCX files with data from XML.
- High-fidelity conversion of DOCX to HTML/CSS.
- High-fidelity conversion of HTML/CSS to DOCX.
- Searching and replacing content in DOCX/PPTX using regular expressions.
- Managing tracked-revisions, including detecting tracked revisions, and accepting tracked revisions.
- Updating Charts in DOCX/PPTX files, including updating cached data, as well as the embedded XLSX.
- Comparing two DOCX files, producing a DOCX with revision tracking markup, and enabling retrieving a list of revisions.
- Retrieving metrics from DOCX files, including the hierarchy of styles used, the languages used, and the fonts used.
- Writing XLSX files using far simpler code than directly writing the markup, including a streaming approach that enables writing XLSX files with millions of rows.
- Extracting data (along with formatting) from spreadsheets.
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation 2012-2017 Portions Copyright (c) Eric White Inc 2018-2019
Licensed under the MIT License. See License in the project root for license information.
New Release! Version 4.4.
This version has a completely re-written WmlComparer.cs, which now supports nested tables and text boxes. WmlComparer.cs is a module that compares two DOCX files and produces a DOCX with revision tracking markup. It enables retrieving a list of revisions.
There is a lot of content about Open-Xml-PowerTools at the Open-Xml-PowerTools Resource Center at OpenXmlDeveloper.org
- DocumentBuilder Resource Center
- PresentationBuilder Resource Center
- WmlToHtmlConverter Resource Center
- DocumentAssembler Resource Center
- Visual Studio 2017 Update 5 or .NET CLI toolchain
With Visual Studio:
OpenXmlPowerTools.slnin Visual Studio
- Rebuild the project
- Build the solution. To validate the build, open the Test Explorer. Click Run All.
- To run an example, set the example as the startup project, and press F5.
With .NET CLI toolchain:
dotnet build OpenXmlPowerTools.sln
Version 4.5 : January 21, 2020
- Various changes and fixes to DocumentBuilder
Version 4.3 : June 13, 2016
- New WmlComparer module
Version 4.2 : December 11, 2015
- New SmlDataRetriever module
- New SmlCellFormatter module
Version 4.1.3 : November 2, 2015
- DocumentAssembler: Fix bug associated with duplicate bookmarks.
- DocumentAssembler: Enable processing of content controls / metadata in footer rows.
- DocumentAssembler: Avoid processing content controls used for purposes other than the DocumentAssembler template, including page numbers in footers, etc.
Version 4.1.2 : October 31, 2015
- HtmlToWmlConverter: Handle unknown elements by recursively processing descendants
Version 4.1.1 : October 21, 2015
- Fix to AddTypes.ps1 to compile WmlToHtmlConverter.cs instead of HtmlConverter.cs
- Fix to MettricsGetter.ps1 to correctly report whether a document contains tracked revisions
- Added some unit tests for PresentationBuilder
Version 4.1.0 : September 27, 2015
- New HtmlToWmlConverter module
- HtmlConverter generates non breaking spaces as #00a0 unicode charater, not entity.
Version 4.0.0 : August 6, 2015
- New DocumentAssember module
- New SpreadsheetWriter module
- New Cmdlet: Complete-DocxTemplateFromXml
- Fix DocumentBuilder: deal with headers / footers more rationally
- Enhance DocumentBuilder: add option to discard headers / footers from section (but keep layout of section)
- Fix RevisionAccepter: deal with w:moveTo immediately before a table
- New test document library in the TestFiles directory
- XUnit tests
- Cleaned up build system
- Build using the open source Open-Xml-SDK and the new System.IO.Packaging by default
- Back port to .NET 3.5
- Rename the PowerShell module to Open-Xml-PowerTools
Version 3.1.11 : June 30, 2015
- Updated projects and solutions to build with the open source Open XML SDK and new System.IO.Packaging
Version 3.1.10 : June 14, 2015
- Changed Out-Xlsx Cmdlet to C# implementation
- Fix Add-DocxText
Version 3.1.09 : April 20, 2015
- Fix OpenXmlRegex: PowerPoint 2007 and xml:space issues, causing 2007 to not open PPTX's
Version 3.1.08 : March 13, 2015
- Added Out-Xlsx Cmdlet
Version 3.1.07 : February 9, 2015
- Added Merge-Pptx Cmdlet
- Added New-Pptx Cmdlet
- Added New-PmlDocument
- Fixed help for Merge-Docx
- Don't throw duplicate attribute exception when running FormattingAssembler.AssembleFormatting twice on same document.
Version 3.1.06 : February 7, 2015
- Added Expand-DocxFormatting Cmdlet
- Cmdlets do not keep a handle to the current directory, preventing deletion of the directory.
- Added additional tests to Test-OxPtCmdlets
Version 3.1.05 : January 29, 2015
- Added GetListItemText_zh_CN.cs
- Fixed GetListItemText_fr_FR.cs
- Partially fixed GetListItemText_ru_RU.cs
- Fixed GetListItemText_Default.cs
- Added better support in ListItemRetriever.cs
- Added FileUtils class in PtUtil.cs
Version 3.1.04 : December 17, 2014
- Added Get-DocxMetrics Cmdlet
- Added New-WmlDocument Cmdlet
- Added MetricsGetter.cs module
- Added MettricsGetter01.cs module, along with sample documents
- Reworked Add-DocxText, new style of using it with New-WmlDocument
Version 3.1.03 : December 9, 2014
- Added ChartUpdater.cs module
- Added ChartUpdater01.cs module, along with sample documents
- Added Test-OxPtCmdlets Cmdlet
Version 3.1.02 : December 1, 2014
- Added Add-DocxText Cmdlet
Version 3.1.01 : November 23, 2014
- Added Convert-DocxToHtml Cmdlet
- Added Chinese and Hebrew sample documents
- Cmdlets in this release Clear-DocxTrackedRevision Convert-DocxToHtml ConvertFrom-Base64 ConvertFrom-FlatOpc ConvertTo-Base64 ConvertTo-FlatOpc Get-OpenXmlValidationErrors Merge-Docx New-Docx Test-OpenXmlValid
Version 3.1.00 : November 13, 2014
- Changed installation process - no longer requires compilation using Visual Studio
- Added ConvertTo-FlatOpc Cmdlet
- Added ConvertFrom-FlatOpc Cmdlet
- Changed parameters for Test-OpenXmlValid, Get-OpenXmlValidationErrors
- Removed the unnecessary 1/2 second sleep when doing Word automation in the New-Docx Cmdlet
Version 3.0.00 : October 29, 2014
- New release of cmdlets that are written as 'Advanced Functions' instead of in C#.