Force11 – Open Climate Knowledge Working Group
100% open collaborative research for climate change knowledge—using data mining & open science publishing | #OCK @OCKProject
Join the group here https://www.force11.org/group/open-climate-knowledge
The climate crisis of the predicted atmosphere temperatures rising to 1.5C + makes it imperative that research related to climate change be put to better use by being open and digitally connected.
We are concerned with making all aspects of research open, but as an example, one analysis shows that less than 30% of research papers related to climate change are Open Access (Tai and Robinson 2018). This must change now!
We have a powerful data mining software OpenNotebook (https://github.com/OCKProject/climate) that can search open repositories using linked data dictionaries based on Wikidata. We can then retrieve metadata and documents and apply analysis with machine learning, creating: collections, repositories, develop knowledge graphs, annotate, and more.
You’re welcome to join the working group — we need volunteers with many different skill sets from data scientists to designers. If you would like to find out more about the types of tasks and skills that need covering see our GitHub issue tracker #WG Tasks.
- Use OpenNotebook data mining software to build open research knowledge base and demonstrate the advantages of open science publishing.
- Work on three climate use cases using OpenNotebook:
- scholarly communications / bibliometrics;
- for researchers working in institutions, and in;
- community science AKA Citizen Science areas.
- Develop a plan for transitioning to 100% open.
The first working group meeting (public) will take place via Jitsi video conference platform (https://meet.jit.si/OCK) on February 11th 2020, 8am PDT / 11am EDT / 4pm GMT / 5pm CET – duration 60 minutes. Dial in possible. This first meeting will be an open public meeting to give as many people a chance to learn about the project. You can optionally register on this public CryptPad
GitHub project https://github.com/OCKProject/
OpenNotebook documentation - TBC
OpenNotebook software - TBC
- 11 Feb 2020 vidconf
- Viconf link https://meet.jit.si/OCK
- Meeting agenda https://github.com/OCKProject/Force11-OCKWG/blob/master/agenda11022020.md
- Signup and minutes https://cryptpad.fr/pad/#/2/pad/edit/t5z-3EJz2RzMkKcCg+zDYtL+/
Thank you to our supporters
We would like to share our appreciation of the project supporters: Force11 for enabling the working group; the Open Science Lab at TIB – German National Library of Science and Technology for hosting the OCK project; and to our partners the Open Science editorial platform Generation Research which is a service of the Leibniz Research Alliance Open Science.
(c) The authors. CC BY SA 4.0. 2020