Building OSGeoLive documentation
The following steps describe how to build OSGeoLive documentation on an Ubuntu based operating system (such as Lubuntu).
OSGeoLive is a self-contained bootable DVD, USB thumb drive or Virtual Machine based on Lubuntu, that allows you to try a wide variety of open source geospatial software without installing anything. It is composed entirely of free software, allowing it to be freely distributed, duplicated and passed around.
The majority of OSGeoLive documentation is generated from reStructured text (reSt) sources using Sphinx. reSt is similar to wiki markup, and readable in plain ascii. As a quick check, github will (partially) render reSt documents as HTML.
1. Install python and sphinx version 1.6.5 or greater (as provided with Ubuntu >16.04), (install_main_docs.sh does this too)
sudo apt-get install python-pip pip install sphinx==1.6.5 pip install sphinx-intl pip install sphinxjp.themes.revealjs sudo apt-get install cpanminus sudo cpanm Text::SimpleTable::AutoWidth
2. Clone or download OSGeoLive source documentation
git clone https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc.git
3. Generate the English documentation
cd OSGeoLive-doc mkdir build cd build cmake -DHTML=ON .. make cd ..
The output is in build/doc/_build/html/
4. Generate another language documentation
mkdir build cd build cmake -DHTML=ON -DFR=ON .. make cd ..
Adding -DFR=ON adds the French language, adding another -DES=ON adds Spanish, and so on. The output is also in build/doc/_build/html/
5. Optional: reduce the size of the generated documentation