Unreal Tournament Release Notes
Official Unreal Tournament Web Sites
Independent Unreal Tournament Web Sites
Unreal Tournament Version 469c Release Notes
Version 469c is completely network compatible with all previous public releases of UT (down to 432). The UTPG and OldUnreal teams worked hard to maintain binary compatibility with older native mods. Most of these mods will continue to work in version 469c. However, some mods may need some trivial updates. If you are a native mod author, and you are having trouble updating your mod for version 469c, then please reach out to us at the OldUnreal forums. Note: This patch disables older versions of ACE. Server admins should upgrade ACE to version 1.1e or later to check 469c clients.
- Updated the included FMOD Engine binaries for all clients to version 2.02.10
- The Windows installer is now digitally signed
- Removed libcurl from the patch. Server admins that use the MD5 anti-cheat protection feature and that have automatic updates enabled for the package list will have to manually download libcurl or use the version that came with the previous patch. This change should substantially reduce the number of false positive malware warnings triggered by our patch
- Added native support for Linux/AMD64 and macOS/Apple Silicon platforms
- Included an updated version of the UT PubSrc SDK
- Fixed a bug that caused Unreal Editor to crash when using the texture exporter without having a texture selected (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused Unreal Editor to crash when clicking the "Add Class Here" option without having a class selected (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused Unreal Editor to crash when attempting to export source-stripped classes
- Fixed a bug that could make our map compatibility checks crash Unreal Editor while saving maps
- Fixed a bug that caused random crashes and freezes when calling GotoState/GotoLabel while processing a function call from state code
- Fixed a bug that could cause the garbage collector code to crash while cleaning up decals
- Fixed a bug that caused the game log window to freeze when printing large amounts of data (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when parsing wave files without sample chunks
- Fixed a bug that could make the game crash when binding to native functions whose name clashed with names used in the map
- Made the UnrealScript VM clean up and restore the mutator chains after destroying a mutator with broken cleanup code
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash in the CHSpectator class when cycling through players as a spectator (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that could cause the game to freeze when a Bot gets stuck in state 'FallingState' (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that could make the web admin freeze the server when processing an invalid uhtm file
Audio and 3D Rendering
- Fixed a bug that made some of the renderers crash when attempting to load/render compressed textures generated by Unreal 227's editor
- Fixed a bug that made the game crash when attempting to render a LODMesh with DrawScale set to 0
- Fixed a bug that made ALAudio crash when playing a level with an invalid song (External Contribution by Buggie)
Physics and Player Movement
- Fixed an overflow bug that caused the game to freeze when traversing path nodes with a very high cost
- Fixed a bug that enabled the game audio after using the Replace Textures tool (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the group editor lock button not to work for certain actors (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that made Unreal Editor ignore the "only rebuild visible actors" button in the build options menu (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the actor properties menu not to update when selecting or unselecting actors in the group browser (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that made Unreal Editor sometimes show the wrong line number after a failed compilation (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed several bugs that made Unreal Editor not update the package list correctly (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the "Or With Memory" option in the Surface menu not to work (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the game preferences and UnrealEd's actor properties menus to swap the R and B color channels for color properties
- Fixed a bug that caused the "Find Previous" dialog in the Code Editor to search for the wrong strings (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused viewports to remain maximized and impossible to interact with after maximizing them in a previous UnrealEd session (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused viewports to reset when minimizing the main editor window (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused UnrealEd to ignore certain command line parameters (e.g., LOG and ABSLOG)
- Fixed a bug that made UnrealEd export/import string properties without properly escaping/unescaping special characters
- Fixed a bug that caused incorrect line breaks in the code editor window (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that made UnrealEd attempt to recompile source-stripped classes
- Fixed a bug that made the bottom elements in the actor properties dialog appear multiple times (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed bugs that made UnrealEd incorrectly import certain images with alpha channels
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to import or use sounds/music tracks with special characters in their file/package/group names
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to edit certain array properties through the preferences menu
- Fixed a bug that made UnrealEd discard the alpha channel while importing BC7-compressed textures
- Fixed a bug that made UnrealEd duplicate actors when undoing an actor paste operation
- Fixed a bug that caused the mouse scroll wheel not to work in the preferences menu
- Fixed a bug that caused mouse buttons 4 and 5 not to work correctly with cursor input
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to reload games that were saved while the in-game font scale was set to a very high value
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to enter network servers after having hosted a listen server
- Fixed a bug that made the Linux and macOS game clients save ini files incorrectly under certain circumstances
- Fixed a bug that caused voice menu glitches when using big voice packs (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the voice menu to scale incorrectly when you had the "override GUI scaling" option enabled (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the start game menu to scale incorrectly when you had the "override GUI scaling" option enabled (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the game server not to advertise the bot difficulty level correctly (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to add a specific bot to a game if you had previously kicked that bot from the game (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed various accessed none errors
- Fixed a bug that broke Brock and Xan's taunt animations in the CityIntro map
- Fixed missing models for Skaarj Hybrid characters in the trophy room map (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the sniperrifle to keep zooming when firing while holding down the altfire button (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that could cause the warheadlauncher to fire and consume ammo without actually spawning a projectile
- Fixed a bug that caused the HUD to render certain numbers above 1000 incorrectly (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that allowed the pulse gun to fire through walls in certain cases (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that made flag captures not register immediately if you picked up an enemy flag while standing on your own flag base. This fix is enabled by default, but can be disabled by setting the bFixFlagBasePickup option for your CTFGame type to false.
- Fixed a bug that inadvertently made Nali Warcows and Skaarj Hybrid skins visible while their respective owners were in the PlayerWaiting state (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused certain weapons to continue firing while the player holding them was feigning death (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the sniper rifle zoom to persist through feign death. This fix is enabled by default but can be disabled by setting the bFixFeignDeathZoomBug option of your GameInfo class to false (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to hold and fire multiple weapons simultaneously while/after feigning death. This fix is enabled by default but can be disabled by setting the bFixMultiWeaponBug option of your GameInfo class to false (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that forced UTStats users to turn both bLocalLog and bWorldLog off
- Fixed a bug that caused horizontal sliders to behave erratically after selecting a negative value (External Contribution by Deaod)
- Fixed a bug that broke the free rotating camera in Onslaught mode after disabling mouse smoothing (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused ObjectPaths to move base actors without moving the actors standing on them (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the menu to break when pressing the escape key while the speech menu is open
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to call ArrayCount on Engine.Actor.Touching
- Fixed a bug that made the game balance teams incorrectly when a player had just left (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that caused the weapon to obstruct your view when spectating certain players in first-person view (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed rounding errors in Core.Object.Normal and Core.Object.MirrorVectorByNormal
- Fixed a bug that could cause make stationary pawns such as TeamCannons freeze the game if their target died while they were following it
- Fixed a bug that could cause CTFFlags to vanish if they were last held by a Bot that recently died (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that made unacquired trophies appear in the trophy room (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to start games with categories other than "Unreal Tournament" (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that made holes appear in the strength and regeneration relics
Physics and Player Movement
- Fixed a bug that made kickers move swimming or flying players into PHYS_Falling
- Fixed a bug that caused players to collide with invisible level geometry when using a walk+jump bind to jump off a ledge. This is a client-side fix that should work on all v469 servers
- Fixed a bug that made players that were feigning death rotate as they moved their mouse
- Fixed a bug that made players get stuck in CheatFlying state when switching from ghost/fly to walk
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to retain mispredicted locations for enemy players. This bug could cause some jittering at high frame rates and it could cause the game to render enemy players in the wrong location. (External Contribution by Deaod)
- Fixed a bug that made jump height and distance dependent on tick/frame rate
Audio and 3D Rendering
- Fixed flickering gouraud polygons in XOpenGLDrv
- Fixed a bug that caused mesh lighting to change too suddenly at high frame rates
- Fixed a bug that caused ALAudio to spam the log file and to play certain sounds from the wrong location
- Fixed a bug that caused Cluster to start tracker song playback from the wrong section/order in certain songs
- Fixed a bug that caused ALAudio to stop playing looping sounds played through ClientPlaySound if you moved too far away from the origin of the map
- Fixed a bug that made Galaxy play a whistling sound when a player or bot died while holding a pulse gun
- Fixed an XOpenGLDrv problem that made certain weapons render on top of the HUD
- Fixed a bug that made the chat beep sound mute other sounds
- Fixed XOpenGLDrv bindless texture support for Intel GPUs
Networking and Netcode
- Fixed a bug that made the properties of Botpack.Kicker objects replicate incorrectly to older clients
- Fixed a bug that made the Linux/macOS clients not read UTF-16LE encoded files correctly
- Fixed a bug that could make Setup's UMOD installer erase ini settings such as the ServerPackages (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Fixed a bug that broke UCC's unicode output in the Windows console
- Fixed a bug that caused UCC not to display certain errors
- If Unreal Editor tries to check a renderer for compatibility and that renderer crashes the editor, it will not be checked for compatibility again next time you launch UnrealEd
- When attempting to open a window that is already open, UnrealEd now brings that window to the top of the window stack
- Improved the performance of the UZ compress/decompress commandlets (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added a new texture browser menu option that culls unused textures (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added a new select surface menu option that selects all surfaces in the same zone as the selected surface (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Made the command bar remember the most recently used commands even after restarting the editor (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Made the code editor remember the most recent searches even after restarting the editor (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added a texture lock button to the bottom bar. This button allows you to freeze texture properties such as UPan and VPan while vertex editing (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Improved the performance of the map builder (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added substring searching support to the actor search window (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Improved group browser icons (External Contribution by Feralidragon)
- Added a search menu to the code editor (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Made the Unreal Editor keybind scheme configurable by setting the HotkeysSet option in the [Options] section in UnrealEd.ini. Currently supported options are 436 and 469. (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added a new dialog window that can be used to import compressed mipmaps for an existing texture
- Improved dragging performance in non-realtime viewports by deferring non-realtime viewport rendering to the next Tick()
- Added .obj import/export support for brushes
- Brush importers no longer delete mesh faces with very small areas
- Added compatibility warnings for mods that attempt to call the Locs and Repl functions that were added in UT v451
- Added a "hidden properties" category to the actor properties window (backport from Unreal 227j)
- Added new compatibility warnings for mods that attempt to use the native functions UTPG added in patches 440 and 451
- Added a texture browser menu option to regenerate texture mipmaps
- Added a single-viewport preset for Unreal Editor (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added a "Copy Actor Properties" option to the actor properties window (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Revamped the code editor window and added features such as block indentation, auto-completion, instant recoloring, (regex) find/replace, a default properties viewer, etc (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added an Unreal Editor "Recovery Mode" that allows you to save your work in the event of an editor crash (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added a "Select Matching Surfaces" option to the texture browser (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added a new option to duplicate/insert actors without moving them away from the position of the duplicated actor (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Improved precision of the font textures generated by the TrueType font factory
- Added dynamic mylevel actor recompilation support. When enabled, the script compiler now allows you to change the class layout of actors that you've placed into your level. The following [Editor.EditorEngine] ini options control this feature's behavior:
- WarnForActorRecompilation (Bool - Default Value: True): Warns mappers when they are about to recompile the code for MyLevel actors. The warning explains why recompiling MyLevel actors is dangerous and informs them about the new actor recompilation ini options - DynamicActorRecompilation (Bool - Default Value: False): Enables dynamic actor recompilation support. When the feature is disabled, Unreal Editor still allows you to recompile MyLevel actors, but the script compiler will not resize Actors after recompilation, nor update their properties to match the new class layout
- Added mouse select + copy support to the console window (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added hostname support to the in-game browser favorites tab (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added console command history support to the default console (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Made the default HUD display armor values above 150 correctly (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added a HUD menu option to toggle translucency on your crosshair
- Added new in-game browser options to filter servers by game type and status (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Added custom file encoding support to Engine.StatLog. This new feature allows UnrealScript mods to write files in plain ANSI, UTF-8, or UTF-16LE. Please refer to the Engine.StatLog source code for instructions
- The crosshair dimensions in the hud menu now match their in-game dimensions
- Errors generated by the GetNextIntDesc function are no longer fatal
- UnrealShare.ObjectPath now properly clamps the PathActor's Roll and it retains the initial Roll set on the PathActor (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Increased the size of the Maps array in Engine.MapList from 32 to 4096
- Made the UBrowser favorites dialogs automatically parse addresses pasted into them
- The server browser now allows you to double click and join servers that do not respond to pings (External Contribution by Buggie)
- UTPG's team info enhancement for UdpServerQuery is now enabled by default
- Made the game detect infinite loops in state code
- Made the weapon list resize after dragging the slider in the weapon options menu (External Contribution by Buggie)
- The IpDrv.InternetLink class now has a TextEncoding variable. This variable controls the behavior of text transmitting and receiving functions in InternetLink subclasses. Please refer to the comments in the IpDrv.InternetLink source code for further documentation.
- Improved cyrillic text support
- The game now keeps rendering while it is displaying a modal dialog or popup menu
- Increased the default value for the maximum number of items in the game cache and made the maximum number of cache items configurable by changing the MaxCacheItems setting in the [Engine.GameEngine] and [Engine.EditorEngine] sections in the game ini
- Improved UTF-8 logging/parsing support in the Windows client
- Added the DynamicFontUnicodeRange option to Engine.Canvas. This option can be used to specify the unicode characters to include in dynamically generated fonts
- The stats font (i.e., the font used for stat net, stat fps, ...) now has a black outline which should greatly improve the font's visibility. Additionally, Render.Render now has five new ini options for stat fonts:
- StatOffsetX (Integer - Default Value: 0): Overrides the default horizontal offset of the stats text - StatOffsetY (Integer - Default Value: 16): Overrides the default vertical offset of the stats text - StatDrawOutline (Boolean - Default Value: True): If True, stats text will be rendered with a black outline - StatScaleFont (Boolean - Default Value: True): If True, the stats font will be scaled up at higher resolutions - StatScaleFactor (Float - Default Value: -1): If -1, Render will automatically determine an appropriate scaling factor. If positive, Render will apply the user-specified scaling factor to the stats font
- Disabled anti-aliasing on the smallest UWindow and Ladder fonts
- New icon for the macOS bundle (External Contribution by Älg!)
- Made the game window remember its position across launches (backport from 227)
- Made the game disable the compatibility fixes applied by the GoG game installer. These compatibility fixes caused choppy audio playback and reduced frame rates
- Disabled mouse smoothing by default
- Made mouse input more precise on macOS and Linux
- Windows raw mouse input now also works in windowed mode
Audio and 3D Rendering
- Greatly improved performance of OpenGLDrv and XOpenGLDrv
- Added a "OldLitColors" option to Render.Render. This option can be set to true if you want unlit actors to be dimly lit as in UT 436
- ALAudio now uses the correct output device if you select "System Default" as your output device and if you switch audio devices while playing the game (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Improved support for Apple Retina displays
- XOpenGLDrv now supports detail textures (if the DetailMax setting is set to a value higher than 0)
Physics and Player Movement
- Improved simulation of players walking on stairs
Networking and Netcode
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to load skins whose names started with the name of a standard skin package (External Contribution by Buggie)
- Spectators now see inventory and armor changes for their viewtargets
- The web admin and udp server query protocol can now transmit information in UTF-8 format. As a result, Unicode playernames, chat messages, etc. should now appear correctly
- New supported (text-only) languages: German (Thanks Smirftsch, eGo, Ividyon and Sly.!), Russian, Portuguese (Thanks Ubir4!), Catalan and Dutch (Thanks bennytrt and Rubie!)
- French (Thanks Hellkeeper!) and Italian (Thanks Alby1987!) from the original MULTI5 release fully updated and fixed
- Moved all localization files into the SystemLocalized folder
- All localization files updated to the latest strings
- All duplicates have been removed
- All Unreal map files were removed
- Layouts of all shared files changed in order to match their new organization (i.e. shared sections between U1 and UT can be now easily copypasted)
- New string ControlPrefix for Domination Point messages for languages that support them (i.e., Spanish and its inverted "!")
- All instances of "Unreal" not named "Unreal Engine" fixed into "Unreal Tournament" (because, well, we're playing Unreal Tournament, not Unreal, lol!)
- All Advanced Options menu settings homogenized into English (sigh) in order to prevent them from breaking third-party files
- All device names shortened in order to fit in the menus (i.e. "Support for OpenAL 3D" -> "OpenAL 3D")
- Added SetupOldUnrealPatch.*
- Botpack.*: All gametypes moved into new category "Tournament Game Types" in order to separate them from the regular gametypes. "Tournament Game Types" also contains the settings exclusively to the UT-related gametypes
- Core.*: Added dummy "example" commandlets. The localization of these lines is optional
- All commandlet weblinks now point to the right page in the OldU Wiki
- By consensus, all commandlets will be left in English
- Fixed wrong line reference in PackageFlagCommandlet
- Added Game Types as a general root
- Updated the Upgrade URL in [General].
- SetupUnrealTournamentPatch.*: All files synchronized with the right content.
- "Chose" -> "Choose"
- Added new section "[IDDIALOG_ConfigPageMouseInput]" for the new "First Time" window where the user chooses between Cursor, DirectInput and Raw mouse inputs.
- First-time configuration window title is now "Unreal Tournament Multimedia Configuration", since it now covers more than just Video.
- Udemo.*: New localized strings
- UMenu.*: Fixed description of "Invert Mouse" (it talked about the X axis being inverted, it's actually the Y axis)
- UnrealI.*: Added [NaliPlayer] section
- UTMenu.*: Added dummy lines. The localization of these lines is optional
- All strings adapted to Buggie's templates. This also allowed catching several bugs, untranslated strings and inconsistencies that wouldn't have been caught otherwise
- Minor fixes and inconsistencies fixed
- Added missing line in UBrowser.est and fixed key name in UMenu.est and controls tags in UTMenu.est
- All instances of "You got/picked up..." streamlined into "Has recogido..."
- The game now prints the game revision to the log file
- UCC now uses UTF-8 string encoding in the Windows terminal
Unreal Tournament Version 469b Release Notes
Version 469b is completely network compatible with all previous public releases of UT (down to 432). The UTPG and OldUnreal teams worked hard to maintain binary compatibility with older native mods. Most of these mods will continue to work in version 469b. However, some mods may need some trivial updates. If you are a native mod author, and you are having trouble updating your mod for version 469b, then please reach out to us at the OldUnreal forums. Note: This patch disables older versions of ACE. Server admins should upgrade ACE to version 1.1e or later to check 469b clients.
- The Windows and Mac packages are now digitally signed. This should significantly reduce the amount of false-positive malware warnings.
- Updated the included OpenAL Soft binary for Windows to version 1.21.1
- Updated the included FMOD Engine binaries for all clients to version 2.1.08
- Updated the included libcurl binary for Windows to version 7.72.0_3 (this version will hopefully generate fewer false positive detections by malware scanners)
- Updated the included SDL2 binaries for Linux and macOS to version 2.12
- Fixed a bug that caused ucc batchexport to crash while exporting native classes
- Fixed bugs that crashed Unreal Editor when attempting to import non-power-of-two (NPOT) textures
- Fixed a bug that caused Unreal Editor to crash when editing certain actor properties in the editactor window
- Fixed a bug that caused Unreal Editor to crash after undoing a transaction that had caused an actor to be renamed (e.g., a duplicate or copy/paste operation)
- Fixed a bug that caused Unreal Editor to crash after editing a combo value in the actor browser
- Fixed a bug that caused Unreal Editor to crash when rebuilding brushes with invalid brush links
Physics and Player Movement
- Fixed several FCollisionHash stability problems, including the infamous FCollisionHash::ActorLineCheck crash (thanks Eternity/Feralidragon!)
- Fixed a bug that caused the game client to crash when resetting configuration options in the preferences window
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when preloading very large textures
- Fixed a bug that caused the garbage collector to crash when loading maps with very long names
Audio and 3D Rendering
- Fixed a bug that caused Galaxy to crash during mapswitches if you had UseDigitalMusic set to false
- Fixed a bug that caused Galaxy to crash when playing a mono sound and a stereo/compressed sound simultaneously
- Fixed a bug that caused the game client to crash in scenes with lots of lights in them
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash in ProcessDrawCalls when attempting to render a ScriptedTexture with a high-resolution source texture
- Fixed a bug that caused D3D9Drv to crash when attempting to render textures with empty compressed mipmaps
- Fixed a directdraw initialization bug that caused SoftDrv to crash in fullscreen mode
Networking and Netcode
- Removed the NumInRec<=RELIABLE_BUFFER assertion which could still be reached by certain server crash tools
- Fixed a bug that caused the 3D viewport camera to jump when clicking and holding down a mouse button without moving the mouse
- Fixed texture compression artifacts in textures whose width or height were not multiples of 4
- Fixed a problem that caused constant idle CPU usage when using UEd with audio enabled
- Fixed an UnrealEd bug that made it impossible to assign songs to MusicEvents
- Pressing cancel in the file saving dialog now works as expected
- The mover node count check that happens during map saving now works as expected
- Fixed a bug that made UnrealEd's cleanup tool remove original actors too when trying to clean up their duplicates
- Fixed a bug that caused file saving failures for packages that generated compatibility warnings
- Fixed a bug that caused certain actor duplication operations to silently fail
Physics and Player Movement
- Restored actor touch behavior for older (<v469) clients and servers
- Fixed a bug that caused collisions with invisible level geometry when playing at extremely high frame rates
Networking and Netcode
- Fixed a bug that made the server stop responding to in-game browser queries if there were players in PlayerWaiting or PlayerSpectating state on the server
- Removed the file size check from the HTTP file downloader. This size check prevented players from joining servers when the redirect server sent them a file of a different generation than the one the game server was using
- Fixed a bug that caused certain actor properties not to update after becoming relevant to clients again
- Fixed a bug that made it impossible to play demos recorded on servers running very old versions of UTPure
- Fixed a bug that caused hidden viewtarget actors not to be replicated. This bug broke bunnytrack maps such as BT-OcarinaOfTime
Audio and 3D Rendering
- Fixed a bug that caused scriptedtextures (such as the ammo counters on the minigun, rocket launcher, and flak cannon) not to update properly
- Fixed a bug that caused the VSync menu option not to work for XOpenGLDrv
- Fixed a bug that made XOpenGLDrv render complex meshes incorrectly
- Fixed a bug that caused masked textures to render incorrectly in XOpenGLDrv
- Fixed XOpenGLDrv texture decompression for small textures and NPOT textures
- Fixed an ALAudio bug that caused sounds to play from the wrong location
- Fixed a Galaxy bug that broke sound spatialization
- Fixed a bug that caused Cluster to play interface sounds (such as voice taunts) with the wrong pitch
- Fixed a bug that could cause ALAudio music playback to stop randomly
- Fixed an XOpenGLDrv bug that caused smallwave textures to be rendered as unmasked textures
- Fixed an XOpenGLDrv bug that caused part of the viewport to be invisible when going into fullscreen mode from a max-sized window
- Fixed a bug that caused D3DDrv screenshots to be blank when using windowed mode
- Fixed a bug that caused D3D10Drv and D3D11Drv to change the windowed mode resolution when going into fullscreen mode using ALT+ENTER
- Fixed a bug that caused objects behind mirrors to be visible in OpenGLDrv and XOpenGLDrv
- Fixed a bug that made the shield belt effect visible while spectating a player with behindview 0
- Fixed a bug that caused unlit meshes in fog zones to be rendered without texturing
- Fixed a bug that caused the pulsegun to be rendered in the wrong position when holding it in your left or right hand
- Fixed a bug that made announcer sounds (such as CTF events) too quiet when using Galaxy
- Fixed an XOpenGLDrv bug that caused decals to render incorrectly
- Fixed a bug that caused textures to render with the wrong PolyFlags when setting UsePrecache to true in the renderer settings
- Restored the old sound culling behavior for older clients connected to 469 servers
- Fixed a bug that could cause sounds produced by moving actors to be culled despite being in range of the listener
- Fixed a bug that made it possible to cycle through AnnouncerSpectators (which UTv469 uses to play announcersounds) using F5 or Viewclass binds
- Fixed bugs that made it impossible to load mods that imported color palettes from the original Botpack, UnrealI, or UnrealShare packages
- Fixed the broken polygon in the ripper gun
- Fixed a bug that made the ammo bar in the HUD not to scale properly at high resolutions
- Fixed a bug that caused the in-game voice menu to have large black borders under certain conditions
- Teleporting with the translocator no longer causes you to start falling if you were flying at the start of the teleport
- ViewShake now allows the camera roll to reset to 0 at high framerates (External Contribution by Deaod)
- SendServerMove now sends the correct viewrotation to the server (External Contribution by Deaod)
- The rocket launcher lock-on crosshair now scales correctly with custom crosshair scaling options (External Contribution by Deaod)
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to parse commandline parameters incorrectly when the game was launched from a folder containing spaces
- Added the missing TTF fonts to the Linux patch package
- Fixed a bug that made Setup.exe not read the Manifest.int file in a umod if you already had a Manifest in your System folder
- Fixed bugs that broke savegame saving and loading on Linux and macOS
- Added a new package verification routine that can detect and fix up packages that are incompatible with previous versions of UT. This routine automatically runs while compiling/saving a package.
- Made the font size for the game/UEd log windows configurable in the ini
- Optimized bulk actor deletion
- Oversized textures in the texture browser now get clipped rather than ignored
- Added "Import CompMips" button to the texture browser. This allows you to import and compress hi-res image data and add it to an existing texture
- Made BC3/DXT5 the default compressed texture format for textures whose source image has alpha channel data
- The model points count is now visible on the build sheet
- Made the game client automatically load the default viewport manager when the configured viewport manager fails to load (e.g., when trying to load SDLDrv on Windows)
- Made the driver and preference caching system filter out duplicates. This fixes the duplicate entries some Linux and macOS players were seeing in the game menus (e.g., in the list of game types or skins)
- The top right corner of the in-game menu bar now includes additional version information
- The renderer no longer gets destroyed when switching between windowed mode and fullscreen mode
- The Linux client now has an (experimental) wxWidgets-based launcher (wx-ut-bin-). This launcher adds support for the "preferences" console command. It requires wxWidgets 3.1.4. (External Contribution by Buggie)
- The client now retains the INI, USERINI, LOG, LANPLAY, and NEWWINDOW command line options when relaunching
- Restored compatibility with a couple of older mods that replace the game menu
- Added new crosshair rendering options to the in-game menu
- Merged several improvements to the in-game voice menu, including numbered labels, larger lists, and scrolling in larger steps. (External Contribution by Buggie)
- CTF flags now automatically respawn and get returned to their flag base if they get destroyed. This allows CTF flags to work on maps with CloudZones or TriggeredDeath triggers. The fix is enabled by default but can be disabled by setting Botpack.CTFGame.bAutoRespawnFlags to false. (External Contribution by Buggie)
- The pulse beam no longer despawns if you hold the pulsegun altfire button for more than 60 seconds
Audio and 3D Rendering
- Restored distance culling and sound dampening for occluded sound sources in Galaxy and Cluster
- Made Cluster reset all music channels when looping tracker music
- Increased the draw distance in D3D9Drv
- Restored compatibility with legacy audio drivers from earlier windows patches (although you may have to use the -nodep commandline switch)
- Improved XOpenGLDrv performance (particularly for people with older GPUs)
- Revamped OpenGLDrv shader code
- Enabled Ogg Vorbis support in all audio drivers and in the UnrealEd music browser
- Added more VSync control options to the in-game menu
- Added audio output selection options to the in-game menu (supported by ALAudio and Cluster)
- Increased the size of the vertex selection markers when using OpenGLDrv or D3D9Drv
- Added a menu option to control the Translocator's weapon switching behavior when pressing fire and alt-fire simultaneously. This option will only affect local games or games on 469b (and later) servers.
- The gargbage collector now tracks and cleans up actor references stored in object default properties
Unreal Tournament Version 469a Release Notes
Version 469a is completely network compatible with all previous public releases of UT (down to 432). The UTPG and OldUnreal teams worked hard to maintain binary compatibility with older native mods. Most of these mods will continue to work in version 469a. However, some mods may need some trivial updates. If you are a native mod author, and you are having trouble updating your mod for version 469, then please reach out to us at the OldUnreal forums. Note: This patch disables older versions of ACE. Server admins should upgrade ACE to version 1.1e or later to check 469a clients.
- Fixed an issue that caused UnrealEd to crash if the EditPackages list did not contain any packages with meshes in them.
- Fixed an issue that caused UnrealEd to crash when opening large UnrealScript files.
- Fixed an issue that caused UnrealEd to crash when opening packages with array variables in them.
- Fixed an issue that caused UnrealEd to crash during shutdown. This issue likely only affected Windows 10 users.
- Fixed an issue that caused UnrealEd to crash when reloading a map after rebuilding several packages.
- Fixed an issue that caused UnrealEd to crash while editing maps with lots of dynamic lights.
- Fixed an issue that caused UnrealEd to crash when docking/undocking one of the browser windows.
- Fixed an issue that caused certain commandlets to crash because the garbage collector decided to destroy them while they were still running.
- Fixed an issue that caused the ucc batchexport commandlet to crash when exporting textures from a package containing scripted textures.
- Fixed an issue that caused the game to crash when running the "GET" consolecommand to read an array property.
- Fixed an issue that caused the game to occasionally crash on shutdown.
- Fixed an issue that caused the game to crash when calling certain canvas functions with an invalid font or texture argument.
- Fixed an issue that caused the game to crash if the player deleted the [Engine.GameEngine] group from the UT.ini file.
- Fixed an issue that caused the game to crash when resetting properties to their default values in the preferences window.
- Fixed an issue that caused the game to crash when attempting to call an unrealscript function that has the same name as a global variable within the same class.
- Fixed dozens of issues that caused the game to crash when exporting properties in textual format (e.g., through GetPropertyText).
- Fixed various issues that caused the game to crash after destroying objects containing dynamic arrays.
- Fixed various issues that caused the game to crash when rendering scenes with lots of actors/dynamic sprites in them.
- Fixed an infinite recursion crash bug triggered when picking up an invisibility powerup while already invisible.
- Fixed an issue that caused certain maps to crash the game due to duplicate actors in the map.
- The game now properly nullifies references to all destroyed actors. This change fixes the garbage collector crashes that triggered when an Actor was referred to by an Actor in a different level, or when a non-Actor object kept an implicit or explicit reference to a destroyed Actor.
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when using the "QUIT" or "EXIT" command during demo playback.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the game to crash while recording a demo on a server that generates excessive amounts of traffic on single actor channels. One of the mods that often triggers this bug is Nexgen.
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when calling an iterator function in a null context.
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash in maps that had brushes with bStatic and bNoDelete set to false.
- Fixed aluigi's unrealfp Remote Server DoS bug.
- Fixed an issue that caused the server to crash in AActor::execPlayerCanSeeMe in games with bots in them.
- Fixed an UnrealEd issue that caused vertices/brushes to become invisible while zooming in in vertex edit mode.
- Fixed an UnrealEd issue that caused brush clips to snap to the nearest grid location when clicking a vertex.
- Fixed an UnrealEd issue where Actors could not be placed/deleted/edited if an Actor with the same name already existed elsewhere in the class hierarchy.
- Fixed an UnrealEd issue where the 3D viewports used incorrect lightmaps after rebuilding lighting/bsps.
- Fixed an issue that caused incorrect brush stretching/scaling on non-builder brushes.
- Fixed an issue that caused UnrealEd to show all textures in the game when selecting a font group in the Texture Browser.
- Fixed an issue that caused erratic mouse cursor behavior when dragging in an orthogonal zoom viewport.
- Fixed an issue that caused MyLevel resources to become corrupted after loading a new map in UnrealEd.
- Fixed an bug that caused the texture browser scrollbar to reset when scrolling down a long list of textures.
- Fixed various text clipping bugs in the texture browser window.
- Fixed a bug that caused v436-v451 to crash when rendering LOD meshes imported with UT v440 or later.
- Fixed a bug that made UnrealEd truncate large files in the code editor window.
Physics and Player Movement
- Fixed an issue where the game would speed up dramatically when rendering more than 200 frames per second.
- Fixed a bug that could cause dodge moves to be delayed.
- Fixed a bug that caused the server to constantly and incorrectly adjust the client's in-game position. This caused choppy movement when rendering more than 90 frames per second.
- Fixed a bug that caused players to get stuck in walls or slopes when playing with high frame rates. This bugfix will only work on v469a servers.
- Fixed a bug that caused extremely large position adjustments when walking sideways into sloped brushes. This bugfix will only work on v469a servers.
- Fixed several bugs that allowed certain projectiles to ignore collision with level geometry.
Input and Windowing
- Fixed a bug that caused the scrolling animation in the preferences window to play in the opposite direction.
- Fixed an issue where you could not select property values containing spaces in the preferences menu.
- Fixed an issue where the mouse would get stuck in the middle of the game window on Linux and Mac.
- Fixed an issue where the in-game windowing system would sometimes show a wait cursor instead of a west-east window resizing cursor.
Networking and Netcode
- Fixed a bug that could cause carried weapons and flags to become invisible in online games.
- Fixed a bug that caused XC_Engine servers to reject connections from players who had just watched a demo.
- Fixed several issues that caused network connections to be terminated unexpectedly on Linux and Mac.
Audio and 3D Rendering
- Fixed an issue where the game would only show part of the player model in the player setup menu.
- Fixed an issue where the game would shut down when a non-fatal rendering anomaly occurred.
- Fixed a bug that caused the game viewport to have the wrong dimensions after resizing the game window on Linux or Mac.
- Fixed several bugs that caused sounds not to update or to play from the wrong location.
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash at extremely high resolutions (such as 8K).
- Fixed an issue where the game would not update stale actor lighting data in the engine cache. As a result, many actors would be renderered in pitch black even when they should be lit. This issue especially affected people playing with large cache sizes or high frame rates.
- Fixed a bug that caused CTF Flags to become dark after being returned to their flag base.
- Fixed an issue where certain sounds would play at double the intended volume while recording a demo.
- Fixed an issue where screenshots would not get rendered correctly if you had your vertical screen resolution set to an odd number of pixels.
- Fixed a bug that caused all decorations in skyboxes to be invisible.
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to stop rendering after changing your FOV in a game type that had its MinFOV and MaxFOV settings set to 0.
- Fixed an issue where the game would hang for a long time (and sometimes even crash) when opening a maplist with lots of maps.
- Restored the ability to kick players and bots from local games.
- Fixed an issue where bots considered human players invisible even after their invisibility pickup had expired.
- Fixed several bugs that could cause weapons to instantly switch between fire and alt fire animations.
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to interact with the level and pick up items before the match started after giving up admin privileges via AdminLogout command.
- Team games now properly end when one of the teams scores in overtime.
- The 1024 character limit on conversions between ANSI and Unicode strings is gone.
- Fixed an engine bug that could cause Demo Manager to freeze the game after using the seekto command.
- Eliminated many "Accessed None" warnings.
- Pawns that get destroyed while they have the Destroyed probe function disabled should now get unlinked from the Level Pawnlist.
- Merged most of Unreal 227's Unreal Editor enhancements.
- UnrealEd's viewport window allows you to select any of your renderdevices now (not just SoftDrv and D3DDrv).
- UnrealEd's button bar and texture browser now have mouse wheel support.
- UnrealEd's 2D Shape Editor now properly calculates the vertex positions while dragging at zoom levels other than 100 pct.
- UnrealEd now supports mouse wheel scrolling in the 2D viewports.
- UnrealEd now has an "Add PlayerStart" item in the surface popup menu. This item only shows if your level does not have a PlayerStart yet.
- UnrealEd viewports can now render up to 200 frames per second. This framerate was previously capped at 30.
- UnrealEd's vertex editor now properly accumulates small vertex adjustments. Previously, small adjustments could get discarded due to grid snapping.
- Added texture format conversion support to the texture browser.
- Added an option to remove the compressed mips from a texture in the texture browser.
- All UnrealEd viewports now support renderdevice switching.
- Added texture import support for various new image formats.
- The ucc make commandlet now works on Linux and Mac.
- The ucc compress commandlet can now skip compression if an up-to-date .uz file already exists. To use this new feature, add the "update" command line parameter to your ucc compress invocation.
- S3TC/DXT1 texture compression should now be available in the ucc tools for Linux and Mac (though obviously not in UnrealEd).
- UnrealEd, Setup, and the game client are now high-DPI aware on Windows. This eliminates the bluriness a lot of people with big monitors were seeing. It also improves input precision in the game and the editor.
- Added automatic scaling of the game menu. The scaling factor and behavior can be controlled using the new settings in the menu.
- Added crosshair scaling to the standard HUD. You can configure the crosshair scaling settings in the menu. NOTE: A lot of mods will likely ignore the crosshair scaling. Mod authors should update their mods so they call the regular ChallengeHUD.DrawCrosshair function.
- Added in-game font scaling. When enabled, fonts scale automatically with your desktop DPI. Scaling can be turned on and off in the in-game menu.
- UWindow now supports higher resolution textures for LookAndFeels. This enables LookAndFeels to scale better for people playing at higher resolutions and higher GUI scales. The UMenu LookAndFeels have been (partially) updated to use this new feature.
Input and Windowing
- Fixed mouse acceleration issues for players using DirectInput on Windows 10.
- Added raw mouse input support. This feature can be enabled by setting the UseRawHIDInput to true in the WinDrv.WindowsClient section of the game ini.
- Added enhanced pointer precision control. By default, the game enables enhanced pointer precision while in the menu and restores the old precision settings when in game. However, you can now set the NoEnhancedPointerPrecision option in the WinDrv.WindowsClient section to true if you do not want the game to change the system pointer precision settings at all.
- Added new menu options to control the mouse input and smoothing behavior.
- Improved support for mouse side buttons.
- Added mouse wheel scrolling support to the in-game windowing system.
- Added clipboard paste support to the quick console.
- The Linux and Mac clients now have clipboard support.
- Console commands that are over 1024 bytes in length, or that return over 1024 bytes of data should now be safe to use.
- Added a new primitive type called "pointer". Pointer variables automatically adjust to the word width on the target platform. Native mod authors should use pointer variables to mirror a pointer type in C++.
- Added new Canvas functions to create arbitrarily-sized fonts on the fly. Please do not use these functions directly as they will cause your mod to be incompatible with earlier versions of UT. Instead, use the BotPack.FontInfo class to retrieve fonts that are appropriate for the client's screen size.
- Added the "TEXTURE MERGECOMPRESSED NAME=MergeWith FILE=HiResFile.PNG GROUP= " exec command. This command allows you to import and compress hi-res textures and merge them into an existing texture's compressed mipmaps.
- Added HandlePauseRequest to the mutator system, allows modders to modify the behaviour of players' pause button in servers.
- Fixed several arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities.
- The Windows version of the game now has several security enhancements including (but not limited to) Data Execution Prevention (can be disabled with the -nodep command line parameter), SafeSEH, and ASLR support.
- Revamped the UT v468 MD5 code. Older clients can connect to v469a servers now even if they don't support the MD5 extension. The server now also marks which files it wants MD5 checks for.
- MD5 checking is now disabled by default. To enable, set MD5Enable to True under [Engine.GameEngine] in the server's ini file.
- Added an auto-updater for the Packages.md5 list. The auto-updater will check for list updates once an hour if you have MD5Enable and MD5AutoUpdate both set to true under [Engine.GameEngine].
Networking and Netcode
- Restored demo compatibility with UT v436.
- Added workarounds for bugs that could cause player animations to break in demos or online play after installing high-resolution S3TC textures.
- Made improvements to the networking code to eliminate the infamous texture skating problem (in nearly all cases).
- The game no longer disables Download Managers if they encounter a non-critical error while attempting to download a file from the server. Previously, the game would stop attempting to download from redirect servers after encountering an HTTP error (such as HTTP 404).
- The game now shows the number of remaining packages while downloading from a server.
- Clients are far less likely to encounter package mismatch errors when connecting to servers, now a UT client can have multiple packages with the same name and the loader will select the right one (if present).
- Added bandwidth control for file downloads from the gameserver. The bandwidth control option overrides the MaxClientRate. It can be controlled in the server.ini file as follows:
[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] MaxFileDownloadRate=0 Maximum download speed in bytes per second ; Possible values for MaxFileDownloadRate: ; -1 Send files at the maximum speed possible ; 0 Limit the file download speed to MaxClientRate bytes per second. This is what UT did by default in versions 468 and below ; any positive number Allow download speeds of up to this amount of bytes per second.
Audio and 3D Rendering
- Screenshots now get stored in the "System/Screenshots" folder. UT will automatically create this folder if it does not already exist. We also removed the limit on the number of screenshots you can have in this folder and we now save screenshots in PNG format rather than BMP.
- Decals are now visible in fog zones.
- Integrated Cluster, a new FMOD-based audio driver with superior sound quality and hyper-realistic sound effects (Thanks han!).
- Integrated enhanced versions of Chris Dohnal's UTGLR OpenGLDrv and D3D9Drv.
- Integrated OldUnreal's latest XOpenGLDrv.
- Galaxy Audio is now considered deprecated. On Windows Vista and later, the game launcher will do an automatic one-time upgrade your audio subsystem to the latest version of the OldUnreal Cluster driver.
- Revamped the underlying audio code for sounds played using TournamentPlayer.ClientPlaySound. The revamped code should make playback volumes more consistent and should eliminate audio glitches such as crackling and screeching.
- New language: German (requires testing)
- Italian and French have been fully updated (both require testing)
- Minor changes to Spanish
- UnrealEd and the game client are now large address aware on Windows. This means it is far less likely that you'll run out of virtual memory.
- Removed some outdated items from the in-game menu (e.g., ngWorldStats, mplayer, heat, won, ...)
- Rewrote some of the core timing routines so the game runs more smoothly (and with less glitching) on multicore CPUs and in long-running games.
- The Linux and Mac clients finally support unicode! The most visible consequence is that player names with non-ascii characters in them will now display correctly when playing on Linux servers (provided that you use font textures with the proper unicode glyphs).
- The game now uses UTF-8 as the prefered file encoding (unless a UTF-16LE BOM is found at the start of the file).
- Added selectedcursor support to the Linux and Mac clients.
- Added the -FORCELOGFLUSH command line option. This option makes the game/server flush the log file every time it is written to.
- Added the -SETHOMEDIR= command line option. Normally, the game looks for the UnrealTournament.ini and User.ini files in ~/.utpg/System (on Linux), ~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament/System (on Mac), or in UnrealTournament\System (on Windows). With this option, you can override the preferences path (e.g., ./ut-bin-x86 -sethomedir=~/.loki/ut/System).
- Made pulsegun and minigun lockdown a configurable option that is disabled by default.
- UnrealI and UnrealShare decorations can no longer be destroyed if they have bStatic set.
- Merged Unreal 227's UnrealI and UnrealShare AI fixes.
Old Release Notes
The release notes for older patches released by Epic and UTPG can be found in the Help/ReleaseNotes.htm file which is included in the patch.