Wanna help us on Qwant Maps ? Awesome, thanks for taking the time to contribute ! Here are a few things you can do.
Improving the map
Qwant Maps main data source is OpenStreetMap (OSM). It's an international project to create an open geographical database of the entire world: https://www.openstreetmap.org/about
If you know your neighborhood, you are entitled to participate: join the community and improve the map with us. You will need a free account here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/new To get you started, check out:
- French local chapter website (
You can join the translation team on transifex, ask for your language and start translating.
Reporting Bugs or suggesting enhancements
If you find a bug on the map (a missing place or some outdated location), you can fix it by contributing to OpenStreetMap. If you don't want to take the time to sign up and learn how to edit, you can also add a note on OSM website so other contributors may investigate.
Otherwise, you can submit an issue in this repository. Please provide as much details as you can, with screenshots and steps to reproduce.
Contributing code and documentation changes
If you want to deep dive and help out with some development on Qwant Maps, then first read along in this repository to understand the architecture and find out some repository to contribute on. Cosmogony (the tool we use to understand administrative zones) or Erdapfel (Qwant Maps website) may be good candidates to get started.
If you have a bugfix or new feature that you would like to contribute to the project, please find or open an issue about it first: maybe we are already working on it, or there are particular issues that you should know about before implementing the change.
Qwant Maps is developed in France and for now has been mainly tested by French people. We need your local knowledge to make it work in the entire world
- Test Qwant Maps in your language and in your country and tell us what should be improved
- Join your local OpenStreetMap community, meet other mappers and improve the map
- Tell us more about the administrative divisions in your country: we need them to add local context to your geographical searches. Learn more with Cosmogony
- Enrich the test cases we use for our geographical search engine by contributing to geocoder-tester: Write a few search queries for your country and tell us what you expect Qwant Maps to find when you type these queries. This file provides a good example
🇮🇹to get you started.
- Dit we mention "contribute to OpenStreetMap" ?
There are many other ways to contribute, from improving the documentation to writing blog posts. Please share your favorite locations on Qwant Maps with your friends and help them #SwitchToQwant #SwitchToOSM