This is an example of how to build a Windows MSI installer for a node.js server application using wix.
The msi installer will install:
- Every file in the Program Files\Manufacturer\Product folder
- node.exe in Files\Manufacturer\Product
- nssm.exe in Files\Manufacturer\Product
- Register the service as a Windows Service
- A shortcut in the start menu to the url of the web application
Every component installed is properly rolled back on uninstall.
Why packaging node.exe?
- node.exe is an small file and an standalone file
- we don't want to mess with other applications
You need WIX, node.js, nssm.exe.
There paths hardcoded all over the example but if something fails you get a very good message.
installer\build.ps1 on powershell.
How it works
First the script will copy everything to a temporary directory excluding directories such as
Then we run WIX
heat.exe to generate a wxs of all our files with a ComponentGroup (installer\directory).
If you have found a bug or if you have a feature request, please report them at this repository issues section. Please do not report security vulnerabilities on the public GitHub issue tracker. The Responsible Disclosure Program details the procedure for disclosing security issues.
This project is licensed under the MIT license. See the LICENSE file for more info.