Prow is a Kubernetes based CI/CD system. Jobs can be triggered by various types of events and report their status to many different services. In addition to job execution, Prow provides GitHub automation in the form of policy enforcement, chat-ops via
/foo style commands, and automatic PR merging.
See the GoDoc for library docs. Please note that these libraries are intended for use by prow only, and we do not make any attempt to preserve backwards compatibility.
For a brief overview of how Prow runs jobs take a look at "Life of a Prow Job".
To see common Prow usage and interactions flow, see the pull request interactions sequence diagram.
Functions and Features
- Job execution for testing, batch processing, artifact publishing.
- GitHub events are used to trigger post-PR-merge (postsubmit) jobs and on-PR-update (presubmit) jobs.
- Support for multiple execution platforms and source code review sites.
- Pluggable GitHub bot automation that implements
/foostyle commands and enforces configured policies/processes.
- GitHub merge automation with batch testing logic.
- Front end for viewing jobs, merge queue status, dynamically generated help information, and more.
- Automatic deployment of source control based config.
- Automatic GitHub org/repo administration configured in source control.
- Designed for multi-org scale with dozens of repositories. (The Kubernetes Prow instance uses only 1 GitHub bot token!)
- High availability as benefit of running on Kubernetes. (replication, load balancing, rolling updates...)
- JSON structured logs.
- Prometheus metrics.
- With your own Prow deployment:
- With developing for Prow:
- As a job author:
- Building, Testing, and Updating
- General Configuration
- Pod Utilities
- Scaling Prow
- "Life of a Prow Job"
- Getting more out of Prow
KubeCon 2020 EU virtual
KubeCon 2018 EU
KubeCon 2018 China
KubeCon 2018 Seattle
- Behind you PR: K8s with K8s on K8s
- Using Prow for Testing Outside of K8s
- Jenkins X (featuring Tide)
- SIG Testing Intro
- SIG Testing Deep Dive
Prow in the wild
Prow is used by the following organizations and projects:
- Azure AKS Engine
- Daisy(google compute image tools)
- KubeEdge (Kubernetes Native Edge Computing Framework)
- Volcano (Kubernetes Native Batch System)
If you need to contact the maintainers of Prow you have a few options:
- Open an issue in the kubernetes/test-infra repo.
- Reach out to the
#prowchannel of the Kubernetes Slack.
- Contact one of the code owners in prow/OWNERS or in a more specifically scoped OWNERS file.