A simple demonstration using Backbone.js
Backbone-Demo is an open source project to demonstrate building a simple Backbone.js for the absolute beginner.
The application is built using only the basics. To keep the demo simple only Views, Models, Collections and Events where used. Router and Sync where intentionally omitted as advanced topics, that would be better served in a more intermediate demonstration.
- Lo-Dash - A drop-in replacement for Underscore.js
- Backbone.js - Gives structure to web applications by providing models with key-value binding and custom events, collections with a rich API of enumerable functions, views with declarative event handling, and connects it all to your existing API over a RESTful JSON interface.
- jQuery - A fast, concise, library that simplifies how to traverse HTML documents, handle events, perform animations, and add AJAX.
- jQuery-miniColors - A small color selector
- Stylus - Expressive, dynamic, robust CSS for node.js
Where to go from here
Got the Backbone.js basics down and want to take a look at persisting your data on a server?
Backbone.js - Node.js - MongoDB - A demo of syncronizing your Backbone.js app with a Node.js backend.
Got persistence down and want to take a look at real-time syncronization with sockets?
Backbone.js - Node.js - Socket.io - A demo of using sockets to maintain realtime data syncronization with multi-user locking
This demo is released under a BSD license.
Copyright (c) 2012, James O'Reilly All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.