LGI is gobject-introspection based dynamic Lua binding to GObject based libraries. It allows using GObject-based libraries directly from Lua.
Licensed under MIT-style license, see LICENSE file for full text.
Home of the project is on GitHub.
LGI is tested and compatible with standard Lua 5.1, Lua 5.2 and LuaJIT2. Compatibility with other Lua implementations is not tested yet.
If you need to support pre-gobject-introspection GTK (ancient GTK+ 2.x releases), use Lua-Gnome.
In order to be able to compile native part of lgi,
gobject-introspection >= 0.10.8 development package must be installed,
although preferred version is >= 1.30. The development package is
libgirepository1.0-dev on debian-based systems (like Ubuntu)
gobject-introspection-devel on RedHat-based systems (like Fedora).
luarocks install lgi
Alternatively, use make-based installation:
make [sudo] make install [PREFIX=<prefix>] [DESTDIR=<destdir>]
Please note that on BSD-systems you may need to use 'gmake'.
See examples in samples/ directory. Documentation is available in doc/ directory in markdown format. Process it with your favorite Markdown processor if you want to read it in HTML.
List of contributors, in no particular order:
- Uli Schlachter
- Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
- Ildar Mulyukov
- Nils Nordman
- Ignas Anikevicius
- Craig Barnes
- Nicola Fontana
- Andreas Stührk
Many other people contributed to what lgi is today, in many forms - writing patches, reporting bugs, packaging for distributions, providing ideas, spreading a word... Many thanks to all of you!
- fix: improper marshalling of certain APIs passing pointers to records.
- fix: cairo.PsSurface.create() had incorrect signature, missing filename.
- fix: If GTK initialization fails, raise Lua exception instead of hard-crash of calling process.
- fix: when running test in devel tree, prefer lgi from devel tree instead of the installed one.
- add: cairo.Status.to_string() API
- fix: avoid referencing GdkRGBA in GDk override when targetting Gdk2.0, which does not have GdkRGBA.
- fix: replace GStaticRecMutex with GRecMutex to avoid compilation warnings.
- fix: Gtk.Container.'child' pseudoproperty works even in Gtk2, where it was shadowed by internal field.
- fix: add workaround for improperly parsed g_bytes_get_data() annotation.
- fix: add workarounf for incorrect annotation on Pango.Layour.set_attributes(), which caused memory leak.
- fix: adapt to Gio.InputStream.[read|read_all|read_async] API change, which does not accept buffer length argument any more (due to the newly added annotations).
- Add support for GStreamer 1.0, while still retaining GStreamer 0.10 compatibility.
- fix: crash when trying to to access '_class' attribute of class which does not have public classstruct exposed in typelib
- fix: crash when passing 'nil' to transfer=full struct (caused crash of Awesome WM during startup).
- New feature - subclassing. Allows creating GObject subclasses and implementing their virtual methods in Lua.
- cairo: add support for most 1.12-specific cairo features
- cairo: create hierarchy for Pattern subclasses
- cairo: assorted small cairo bugfixes
- samples: add GDBus client example
- samples: add GnomeKeyring example
- samples: GTK: offscreen window demos
- samples: libsoup simple http server example
- platforms: added support for darwin/macosx platform
- platforms: additional fixes for OpenBSD
- build: Makefiles now respect
LDFLAGSenv vars values
- build: Add Lua version option into Makefile
- fix: custom ffi enum/flags handling
- fix: more exotic callback-to-Lua marshalling scenarios
- fix: do not allow GTK+ and gstreamer to call setlocale() - this might break Lua in some locales
- fix: small adjustments, fixes and additions in Gtk override
- fix: tons of other small fixes
- Avoid unexpected dependency on cairo-devel, cairo-runtime is now enough
set_resident()more robust and fix stack leak for Lua 5.2 case, avoid useless warning when
set_resident()fails (to accomodate for static linking case).
- Fix small memory leak (mutex) which occured once per opened
- objects and structs: actually implement
_typeproperty as documented
- tests: Fix regression tests for less common platforms
- Pango: Add a few missing overrides
- cairo: Fix
Context:user_to_device()family of methods.
- GStreamer: Add support for transfer!=none for input objects. This is needed to avoid leaks caused by strange usage of transfer annotations of gstreamer-0.10
- GStreamer: Add more missing overrides
- GStreamer: Fix and improve samples
- Various fixes for usecase when Lua context with loaded lgi is closed and opened again
- Gtk: Add missing
- Add cairo bindings, cairo sample and finish some gtk-demo parts which were requiring cairo
- Fix a few problems on more exotic architectures (s390x, mips, ia64).
- Allow passing
byte.bufferwhen UTF8 string is requested.
- Port gtk3-demo to Lua code. Try running 'lua samples/gtk-demo/main.lua'
- Finish override set for Gtk
- Extend and document features for interfacing LGI with external libraries (exporting and importing objects and structures via lightuserdata pointers).
- Fix: a few bugs with resolving bitflags values
- Fix: a few bugs in coroutines-as-callbacks feature
- Fix: workaround for crashing bug in gobject-introspection 1.32.0
- Fix: don't try to squeeze
lua_Numberany more; this could cause crashes on some 64bit arches.
- Changed handling of enums and bitflags, switched from marshaling them as numbers to prefering strings for enums and tables (sets or lists) for bitflags. Numeric values still work for Lua->C marshalling, but backward compatibility is broken in C->Lua enum and bitflags marshalling.
- Compatible with Lua 5.2 and LuaJIT
- Added standardized way for overrides to handle constructor argument table array part.
- Existing Gtk overrides reworked and improved, there is now a way to
describe and create widget hierarchies in Lua-friendly way. See
docs/gtk.lua, chapter about
Gtk.Containerfor overview and samples.
- Various bugfixes and portability fixes.
- Project hosting moved to GitHub.
- Build system switched from
wafto simple Makefile-based one
- Added automatic locking of thread-sensitive libraries (Gdk and
Clutter). There is no need to add
Clutter.threads_leave()pairs into application, lgi handles this automatically.
- Added new sample
samples/console.lua, which implements already quite usable Lua console using Gtk widgets.
- Fixes for compatibility with older gobject-introspection 0.10.8 package
- Testsuite is not built automatically, because building it can be apparently problematic on some systems, causing installation failure even when testsuite is not needed at all.
setlocale()initialization, which could break Lua when used with some regional locales. The downside of this change is that marshaling file names containing non-ASCII characters on systems which define
G_BROKEN_FILENAMESenvironment variable (probably only Fedora 15) does not work now.
First public release