Clone this wiki locally
- reddit's built-in live API documentation
- The Apigee API console Protip: Don't forget to specify a unique UserAgent in the Headers tab.
- reddit requires OAuth for authentication.
- Don't forget the list of API Wrappers
We're happy to have API clients, crawlers, scrapers, and browser extensions, but they have to obey some rules:
- Please ensure that all API clients follow Reddit's API terms
- Clients must authenticate with OAuth2
- Clients connecting via OAuth2 may make up to 60 requests per minute. Monitor the following response headers to ensure that you're not exceeding the limits:
X-Ratelimit-Used: Approximate number of requests used in this period
X-Ratelimit-Remaining: Approximate number of requests left to use
X-Ratelimit-Reset: Approximate number of seconds to end of period
- Change your client's User-Agent string to something unique and descriptive,
including the target platform, a unique application identifier, a version string,
and your username as contact information, in the following format:
<platform>:<app ID>:<version string> (by /u/<reddit username>)
User-Agent: android:com.example.myredditapp:v1.2.3 (by /u/kemitche)
- Many default User-Agents (like "Python/urllib" or "Java") are drastically limited to encourage unique and descriptive user-agent strings.
- Including the version number and updating it as you build your application allows us to safely block old buggy/broken versions of your app.
- NEVER lie about your user-agent. This includes spoofing popular browsers and spoofing other bots. We will ban liars with extreme prejudice.
- Requests for multiple resources at a time are always better than requests for single-resources in a loop. Talk to us on /r/redditdev if we don't have a batch API for what you're trying to do.
- Our robots.txt is for search engines, not API clients. Obey these rules for API clients instead.
See JSON for an overview of some of the response types.
Changes to the API
Changes to the API can happen without warning if necessary, subscribe to /r/redditdev for announcements of changes.