Contribute to the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Report!
While we've compiled our learnings from the last three years into this guide, we understand that there is always room for improvement. We hope to receive community feedback on the report, and welcome the community and members of the public to make contributions.
We're hosting the report and centering discussion around Github to promote open feedback and discussion and allow community members to directly input on report content. This guide aims to help make how to contribute clear and easy.
How to contribute
Start a discussion topic, for more general concerns (rather than specific edits) on Github
Do you see an issue in the report but would rather have us write the copy for it? Do you have a general concern that you'd like to raise publicly for discussion before we add it to the report? We encourage you to post a new Github Issue. How to do this:
- Make sure you have a Github account, and are logged in. They're free and need very little information to make!
- Click on the Issues tab.
- Post your comment or feedback as an Issue by clicking "New Issue" in the upper right hand corner.
We encourage the community to contribute their feedback to issues that have been raised by other community members, as well!
Send feedback over E-mail
If you're more comfortable providing your feedback privately, that is also an option! Please e-mail lorraine(at)sparcopen.org with any concerns, comments, or suggested changes.
Make edits directly on the website
We're using Github to make directly editing the website as easy as possible for the community.
- Step 1: Get a Github Account: https://github.com/login
- Step 2: Find the file you'd like to edit: https://github.com/sparcopen/opencon-dei-report
- Step 3: Hit the "pen" in the top right hand sidebar
- Step 4: Make your desired edits.
- Step 5: Scroll to the bottom of the screen and hit "Propose file change"
- Step 6: At the top of the page hit "Create pull request" if you're happy with all your changes
- Step 7: You'll be taken to a page where you can explain your edits to us (if it's not obvious). Write what's needed and hit "Create pull request" (yes, again).
We'll review your edit and add it to the site.
There are more advanced workflows and ways you could contribute, but, if you'd just like to make edits and suggestions this should do! If you have any trouble, start an issue or email us.
Updating the PDF
Periodically, we'll take edits made to the website and update the PDF for download. We'll store previous versions of the PDF here.
Our license and your contributions
Please note that all of OpenCon's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion content is licensed CC-BY, which means others are free to:
- (1) Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- (2) Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
Your contributions will be licensed CC-BY.
Our code of conduct
We expect all contributions to follow our Code of Conduct. Contributions which don't will be rejected without further review.
We take any feedback or comments about equity, diversity and inclusion seriously – thank you in advance to anyone who is contributing feedback, additions, corrections, and/or edits.