Working from Home and Phatic Communication
by Simon Ouderkirk
Conversation for the purpose of conversation is something we lose working remotely.
- phatic conversation: when the purpose is just to talk
- "working remotely has helped me understand traditional work places much better"
- also non-verbals - nods, waves
- off-topic conversation after meetings can have real value
- in an office, phatic conversations just happen, but remote workers have to intentionally seek them out
- he schedules coffee / lunch over video conferences with other remote workers
- remote work can become too structured -- it's a way to reintroduce serendipity