Clone this wiki locally
V8's git repository is located at https://chromium.googlesource.com/v8/v8.git
V8's master branch has also an official git mirror on github: http://github.com/v8/v8-git-mirror.
git-clone either of these URLs if you want to build V8 from your checkout, instead follow the instructions below to get everything set up correctly.
Git. To install using
apt-get install git
- depot_tools. See instructions.
- For push access, you need to setup a .netrc file with your git password:
- Go to https://chromium.googlesource.com/new-password - login with your committer account (e.g. @chromium.org account, non-chromium.org ones work too). Note: creating a new password doesn't automatically revoke any previously created passwords.
- Have a look at the big, grey box containing shell commands. Paste those lines into your shell.
How to start
Make sure depot_tools are up-to-date by typing once:
Then get V8, including all branches and dependencies:
fetch v8 cd v8
After that you're intentionally in a detached head state.
Optionally you can specify how new branches should be tracked:
git config branch.autosetupmerge always git config branch.autosetuprebase always
Alternatively, you can create new local branches like this (recommended):
git new-branch mywork
Update your current branch with git pull. Note that if you're not on a branch, git pull won't work, and you'll need to use git fetch instead.
Sometimes dependencies of v8 are updated. You can synchronize those by running
Sending code for reviewing
git cl upload
You can use the CQ checkbox on codereview for committing (preferred). See also the chromium instructions for CQ flags and troubleshooting.
If you need more trybots than the default, add the following to your commit message on rietveld (e.g. for adding a nosnap bot):
To land manually, update your branch:
git pull --rebase origin
Then commit using
git cl land
For project members
Creating a try job from codereview
- Upload a CL to rietveld.
git cl upload
- Try the CL by sending a try job to the try bots like this:
git cl try
- Wait for the try bots to build and you will get an e-mail with the result. You can also check the try state at your patch on codereview.
- If applying the patch fails you either need to rebase your patch or specify the v8 revision to sync to:
git cl try --revision=1234
Creating a try job from a local branch
- Commit some changes to a git branch in the local repo.
- Try the change by sending a try job to the try bots like this:
- Wait for the try bots to build and you will get an e-mail with the result. Note: There are issues with some of the slaves at the moment. Sending try jobs from codereview is recommended.
The revision argument tells the try bot what revision of the code base will be used for applying your local changes to. Without the revision, our LKGR revision is used as the base (http://v8-status.appspot.com/lkgr).
git try --revision=1234
To avoid running your try job on all bots, use the --bot flag with a comma-separated list of builder names. Example:
git try --bot=v8_mac_rel
Viewing the try server
If asked for access credentials, use your @chromium.org email address and your generated password from googlecode.com.