Dolores Landingham Bot
This is a Slack bot that helps onboard new hires at 18F through scheduled Slack messages about topics relevant to 18F and GSA employees. Messages will be scheduled once per day and will trickle out to employees over the course of 60 days.
Mrs. Landingham will teach 18F employees about working in the federal government, how to set up travel, how to add their biographical information and pictures to our website, and other facts that will help them get acclimated to both 18F and the federal government.
Please file an issue if you have any questions about Mrs. Landingham.
The name of this bot is a friendly reference to the TV show The West Wing, where Mrs. Landingham is the fictional president's trusted secretary. This photo is from the show.
Usage instructions for 18F employees
To add new users
- Go https://dolores-app.18f.gov/
- Click https://dolores-app.18f.gov/employees/new
- Write their Slack username without the @ symbol
- Select the date that they started
- Select the time zone that they reside in
- Click https://dolores-app.18f.gov/employees to make sure they’re on the list
To add new messages
- Draft the message in this issue
- Admins can copy the message and paste it in the message body here: https://dolores-app.18f.gov/scheduled_messages/new
- Add a title to your message to be able to identify the message
- Add the number of days after an employee starts. (Add 1 to the last message in this Google Doc)
- Select a time that the message should be sent (the message will be sent at each employee's local time)
- Add tags to be able to surface the message
Installing and contributing
If you're interested in setting up a version of this bot or contributing to this one, our contribution guidelines explain how to set up and deploy this app, find potential tasks to work on, and submit pull requests.
18F employees can view the scheduled messages that Dolores sends employees by visiting https://dolores-app.18f.gov/.
Any 18F employee with a Slack handle can add themselves as a Dolores Landingham message recipient here.
Only admin users can add and update scheduled messages. If you would like to add or update scheduled messages, please open an issue on this repo.
Admin users can add scheduled messages here.
Scheduled messages include a "day count" attribute. Messages to be sent on the day an employee starts have a day count of 0, messages to be sent the next day should have a day count of 1, and so on.
If you have any questions about the Dolores Bot project and are internal to 18F, you can chat with us in the #bots Slack channel.
If you are not internal to 18F and have a question, we would be delighted to help. Please open a GitHub issue and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
This project is in the public domain within the United States, and copyright and related rights in the work worldwide are waived through the CC0 1.0 Universal public domain dedication.
For more information, see license.