No Mail.app Animations on OS X 10.9 Mavericks and 10.10 Yosemite
A Mailbundle plugin to disable the Mail.app Send- and Reply-animations on OS X 10.9 Mavericks and OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Run on your own risk. When having issues, please remove the Mailbundle again.
How does it work?
This Plugin disables Mail.app animations in 10.9 and 10.10 by swizzling Mail.app's -[DocumentEditor shouldDoPopOutAnimation] to return NO always. To disable the send-animation, we swizzle -[DocumentEditor _performSendAnimation] to directly call -[DocumentEditor __sendAnimationCompleted]
How to Install Automatically?
- Download the installer from the Releases page
- Option/right-click on the package and select Open with -> Installer.app
How to Install Manually?
- Copy AveNoAnimationsInMailPlugin.mailbundle to ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/
- run 'defaults write com.apple.mail EnableBundles -int 1' in Terminal.app (without the quotes, of course)
- Restart Mail.app
How to Build for new Mail versions?
- Go to /Applications
- Select Mail.app
- Option/right-click and select 'Show Package Contents'
- Go to Contents/Info.plist
- Copy the value of the PluginCompatibilityUUID key (e.g. 800E5C92-87D3-429B-8740-5C6183CD13EA)
- Open the project in Xcode
- Select the AveNoAnimationsInMailPlugin-Info.plist file
Add the UUID to the SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs list with a comment:
Item 31 # For mail version 8.0 (1988) on OSX Version 10.10
Item 32 800E5C92-87D3-429B-8740-5C6183CD13EA
- In Xcode: Product -> Build
- In Xcode: Product -> Archive (this creates the installer package)
- Commit to Github and send a Pull Request (highly appreciated)