Joomla Day UK 2017 talk - DevOps for Joomla
Slides and examples from my talk at Joomla Day UK 2017
- If you'd like to simply view the slides, go to http://www.ssofb.co.uk/slides/Joomla_Day_UK_2017
- You can watch the talk on YouTube at https://youtu.be/w5ORPXt6W_o
Intro: DevOps for Joomla
The talk is about DevOps for Joomla, from a practical perspective. It is based on a talk given at J & Beyond 2017, but adapted to contain more balanced and slightly less technical content. It is intended to cover the whole area, with specific details pulled out and drilled into.
Aspects covered in the talk include
- The convergence of development and operations to form DevOps
- An introduction to continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Deployment automation
- Using Joomla docker containers
- Automated deployment with Akeeba UNiTE
- Scripting options and choosing between node.js, shell and php
- Headless browser options like Casper, PhantomJS and Zombie.js
- CI platform options, like GitLab, Bamboo, Travis, Jenkins and GoCD
- Simple monitoring solutions
- Diagnostic tools
The talk will be supported by a repository of examples code and notes in GitHub.
Running the slides
The slides are done in Reveal.js so that is needed to run the slidedeck. See https://github.com/hakimel/reveal.js for more info.
Joomla - https://joomla.org
Joomla CLI - https://github.com/joomla-projects/cli-update
Akeeba - https://www.akeebabackup.com
Joomlatools Vagrant - https://github.com/joomlatools/joomlatools-vagrant
Overview of Git Hooks - https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/git-hooks
git-ftp - https://github.com/git-ftp/git-ftp
CasperJS - https://github.com/casperjs/casperjs
Codeception - http://www.codeception.com/
Vagrant - https://www.vagrantup.com/
GitLab - https://gitlab.com/
Bitbucket - https://bitbucket.org/
Assembla - https://assembla.com/
Github - https://github.com/
Jenkins - https://jenkins.io
Travis - https://travis-ci.org
Go.cd - https://go.cd
Circle.ci - https://circleci.com
phpservermon - https://github.com/phpservermon/phpservermon
New relic - https://newrelic.com
UptimeRobot - http://www.uptimerobot.com/
Montastic - http://www.montastic.com/
MyJoomla - http://www.myjoomla.com/
Watchfully - http://www.watchful.li/
Get in touch
If you've any queries about anything mentioned in the slidedeck or examples, let me know. https://twitter.com/AndyGasman
Clone the repo from github to local...
git clone https://github.com/AndyGaskell/Joomla_Day_UK_2017.git
Add a file...
git add dist/blah.php
git commit -m "updates"
git commit -a -m "updates"
Send updates to master...
git push -u origin master
Get updates from master...
git fetch origin