|Current Release/main||Development Branch/dev|
Chia is a modern cryptocurrency built from scratch, designed to be efficient, decentralized, and secure. Here are some of the features and benefits:
- Proof of space and time based consensus which allows anyone to farm with commodity hardware
- Very easy to use full node and farmer GUI and cli (thousands of nodes active on mainnet)
- Chia seeder, which maintains a list of reliable nodes within the Chia network via a built-in DNS server.
- Simplified UTXO based transaction model, with small on-chain state
- Lisp-style Turing-complete functional programming language for money related use cases
- BLS keys and aggregate signatures (only one signature per block)
- Pooling protocol that allows farmers to have control of making blocks
- Support for light clients with fast, objective syncing
- A growing community of farmers and developers around the world
Python 3.7+ is required. Make sure your default python version is >=3.7
If you are behind a NAT, it can be difficult for peers outside your subnet to reach you when they start up. You can enable UPnP on your router or add a NAT (for IPv4 but not IPv6) and firewall rules to allow TCP port 8444 access to your peer. These methods tend to be router make/model specific.
Most users should only install harvesters, farmers, plotter, full nodes, and wallets. Setting up a seeder is best left to more advanced users. Building Timelords and VDFs is for sophisticated users, in most environments. Chia Network and additional volunteers are running sufficient Timelords for consensus.