DiskCryptor is an open source encryption solution that offers encryption of all disk partitions, including system partitions. DiskCryptor's openness is in sharp contrast with other encryption software today, where most of the software with comparable functionality is completely proprietary, making it unacceptable to use for protection of confidential data.
Originally DiskCryptor was developed as a replacement for DriveCrypt Plus Pack and PGP WDE by ntldr back at diskcryptor.net, however since development has stopped since 2014 we decided to continue the development on our own here. The new releases of DiskCryptor are meant as a replacement for BitLocker from Microsoft as BitLocker can NOT be considered secure.
We have updated DiskCryptor for use with windows 10, adding a UEFI/GPT bootloader as well as other minor fixes to improve windows 10 compatibility. We aim at further improving and maintaining windows 10 compatibility.
This website, for now, mostly mirrors information from the old wiki, as we develop new features new content will be added to reflect the changes in the new builds.
- Support of AES, Twofish, Serpent encryption algorithms, including their combinations.
- Transparent encryption of disk partitions.
- Full support for dynamic disks.
- Support for disk devices with large sector size (important for hardware RAID operation).
- High performance, comparable to efficiency of a non-encrypted system.
- Broad choice in configuration of booting an encrypted OS. Support for various multi-boot options.
- Full support for external storage devices.
- Option to create encrypted CD and DVD disks.
- Full support for encryption of external USB storage devices.
- Automatic mounting of disk partitions and external storage devices.
- Support for hot keys and optional command-line interface (CLI).
- Open license GNU GPLv3.