Assessment of Social Media Representativeness (ASOMERE)
This repository is associated with an article:
- Tenkanen et al. (2017). Instagram, Flickr, or Twitter: Assessing the usability of social media data for visitor monitoring in protected areas. Scientific Reports 7: 17615.
The source codes for producing the Figures 1-6 in the article can be found from src folder. The raw data for producing the figures (from social media platforms and national park authorities) cannot be shared due to the terms of service(s).
Analysis & visualization scripts
- Figure 1a - Visitor count maps
- Figure 1b - Index map of Finland and South Africa
- Figure 2 - Rank correlation (Spearman) plots
- Figure 3 - Comparisons of temporal visitation patterns and social media activity in South Africa
- Figure 4 - Comparisons of temporal visitation patterns and social media activity in Finland
- Figure 5 - Boxplot comparisons between social media platforms and associated statistical tests
- Figure 6 - Relationship between Pearson correlations and the park popularity | social media activity