This is the source code for the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex (a.k.a Flex Viewer). Learn more about Flex Viewer at ArcGIS Viewer for Flex resource center.
- Ready-to-deploy GIS web client mapping app for ArcGIS Server.
- A complete web mapping application, and application framework that allows for ease and efficiency toward building web-mapping applications based on ArcGIS API for Flex.
- Many basemaps to choose from: Streets, Satellite, Topography, Oceans, Grayscale...
- Widgets provide specific functionality, but their source code can also be used as samples for other apps
- Easily configurable to meet custom business needs and requirements - no programming skills required to deploy.
- Viewer functionality is defined by widgets - many core widgets are included.
- New functionality can be created with custom widgets developed using ArcGIS API for Flex.
Instructions (Getting Started)
There are three different ways of getting the source code from the GitHub web site: clone, fork and download zip. See http://links.esri.com/flexviewer-gettingstarted-developers for more details.
Once you have the source code on your own machine, you need to import it into Adobe Flash Builder.
- In Adobe Flash Builder 4.6 or 4.7, go to "File" -> "Import Flash Builder project...", then depending on whether you have a zip file or not, follow step 2 or 3.
- If you downloaded the zip file:
- Keep "File" option selected, click "Browse..." button. Select the downloaded flexviewer-3.-src.zip file, for example "C:\Documents and Settings\jack\My Documents\flexviewer-3.-src.zip".
- "Extract new project to:" textbox will be automatically set to location where the project source will reside, e.g. "C:\Documents and Settings\jack\Adobe Flash Builder 4.7\FlexViewer.
- If you cloned and/or forked the repo:
- Select "Project folder", click "Browse..." button and navigate to your local repo, for example C:\Users\jack\Documents\GitHub\arcgis-viewer-flex.
- Click "Finish" button. Project will be created and displayed in the Package Explorer window of Adobe Flash Builder, e.g. in this case FlexViewer.
- If prompted to upgrade the project (because it was created with a previous version of Flash Builder), click "OK"
- If prompted to choose Flex SDK version, select "Flex 4.6.0" or higher.
- Download API Library from http://links.esri.com/flex-api/latest-download. Unzip it.
- Go to "Project" -> "Properties" -> "Flex Build Path".
- Click "Add SWC" and navigate to the agslib-3.[*]-[YYYY-MM-DD].swc API library file.
- Right click on this project (FlexViewer) -> Click "Properties" -> Click "Flex Build Path".
- In the "Output folder" textbox at bottom, specify the location of your web server where your Flex Viewer should be deployed, e.g. in case of IIS web server, C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\flexviewerdebug.
- In "Output folder URL" text box, specify the URL that matches with your output folder specified in last step, e.g. http://localhost/flexviewerdebug/
- Click OK
- Rebuild the project.
- Select the project. Now let's run it - there are multiple ways of doing this: one way is to click green triangle button on top, another way is click Ctrl-F11 and a third way is to click "Run" menu, then select "Run Index".
- Browser will open and Flex Viewer application will be displayed.
- Knowledge of Flex development.
- A little background with Adobe/Apache Flex SDK.
- Experience with the ArcGIS API for Flex would help.
- ArcGIS Viewer for Flex Resource Center
- ArcGIS API for Flex Resource Center
- Flex Viewer License agreement
- Flex API License agreement
- Flex Viewer forum
- ArcGIS Blog
Find a bug or want to request a new feature? Please let us know by submitting an issue.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to contribute.
Copyright 2012-2013 Esri
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
A copy of the license is available in the repository's license.txt file.