Updating Azure PowerShell modules in Azure Automation accounts
This Azure Automation runbook updates Azure PowerShell modules imported into an Azure Automation account with the module versions published to the PowerShell Gallery. See How to update Azure PowerShell modules in Azure Automation for more details.
Import this runbook into your Automation account, and start it as a regular Automation runbook.
- If you import this runbook with the original name (Update-AutomationAzureModulesForAccount), it will override the internal runbook with this name. As a result, the imported runbook will run when the Update Azure Modules button is pushed or when this runbook is invoked directly via ARM API for this Automation account. If this is not what you want, specify a different name when importing this runbook.
- Only Azure and AzureRM.* modules are currently supported. The new Azure PowerShell Az modules are not supported yet. Avoid starting this runbook on Automation accounts that contain Az modules.
- Before starting this runbook, make sure your Automation account has an Azure Run As account credential created.
- You can use this code as a regular PowerShell script instead of a runbook: just login to Azure
using the Connect-AzureRmAccount
command first, then pass
-Login $falseto the script.
- To use this runbook on the sovereign clouds, provide the appropriate value to the
AzureEnvironmentparameter. Please also make sure you read the compatibility notes.
- When facing compatibility issues, you may want to use specific older module versions instead of
the latest available on the PowerShell Gallery. In this case, provide the required versions in
This project welcomes contributions and suggestions. Most contributions require you to agree to a Contributor License Agreement (CLA) declaring that you have the right to, and actually do, grant us the rights to use your contribution. For details, visit https://cla.microsoft.com.
When you submit a pull request, a CLA-bot will automatically determine whether you need to provide a CLA and decorate the PR appropriately (e.g., label, comment). Simply follow the instructions provided by the bot. You will only need to do this once across all repos using our CLA.