Leaflet story map of Hartford Public High School locations over time
See code template and instructions
- Add more pre-1847 sites and images. Cite source of notes below.
The Hartford Public High School History Series III
THE HARTFORD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND H.P.H.S. SITE LOCATIONS by R. J. Luke Williams
1638-1639 Instruction of Puritan boys began in the home of Rev. Thomas Hooker at a location on a lane where Prospect St. is today.
1642-1643 The "Scoole" was located in Goodman Hills's house on the southwest corner of today's Sheldon and Governor Sts. The house was purchased for use as a schoolhouse.
1660 As a "Free School," John Church's house was rented for the scholars.
1665 As the "Lattin Schole," a building was constructed west of Main Street, just south of the bridge over the Little(Park) River.
1691-1692 Another school building was constructed for the “Lattin Schoole” west of Main St., near Linden Place.
1753 The school moved to a new building on School St.(Arch St.), northwest corner with Prospect St. The school was called the"Grammar School."
1810 Another new building was constructed west of Main St., near the intersection with Capitol Avenue. This building was enlarged in 1819 and 1827. It was called the Hartford Grammar School.
1847 The Hartford Grammar School became the Classical Department of the new Hartford Public High School which was officially dedicated on December 1, 1847. The location was at the northwest corner of Asylum and Ann Streets.
1869 The Hartford Public High School relocated to a larger Neo-Gothic style building designed by George H. Gilbert on Asylum (Lord's) Hill. It was enlarged in 1877 and destroyed by fire in 1882.
1883 George Keller's greatest building was erected at the same site. Its façade was on Hopkins Street, facing east.
1897 The Hopkins Street building was enlarged in 1897 according to Keller’s plan and a manual training building was added.
1914 The Broad Street building for business and industrial courses was erected.
1917 The Broad Street building was enlarged.
1963 The Forest St. building was opened and the great Hopkins-Broad Sts. complex was demolished to make way for I-84.
2004-2007 The Forest St. building was completely renovated, and a new field house and classroom wing, which included two rooms for the HPHS Museum & Archive, were added.
Sources: Henry Barnard, The Old Hartford Grammar School, (Hartford, 1878)
C. Duncan Yetman, The Hartford Public High School, 1639-1865, (Yale University, PhD. Dissertation, 1956) Catalogue of the Hartford Public High School, (Hartford, 1941).