This is the source code for the Potteries Hackspace website.
Since around 2010, we used a third party wiki as our homepage, however, the page was lost through no fault of our own, so we decided to launch our own website.
This was designed to be an easy to maintain, portable web page, which resulted in a single static HTML page.
The website has the following features:
- A static single page: fast, easy, portable
- Fixed subnav style navigation, including social network icons
- Large "hero unit" callout, featuring a photo background
- Section for rows of three projects
- Section for about, an embedded Google Document
- Section for people to get in touch and a map of our location
This website was produced thanks to these excellent "out of the box" solutions:
We then creased a blog on Wordpress.com for the Potteries Hackspace, but we soon hit limitations.
Since, in 2014, we moved to a Wordpress powered blog, hosted on a Bitfolk VPS server. Here we created the Hackspacious theme for Hackspaces, a child of the Spacious theme.
In 2016, we decided to move away from Wordpress, mainly due to the maintenance overhead.
Based on experience with GitHub and Jekyll a decided was made to migrate our content away from Wordpress to Jekyll hosted on GitHub.
This has been made possible by the following:
- GitHub for the hosting
- disqus for the comments hosting
- Ben Balter for the WordPress to Jekyll Exporter plugin
- jekyll for the blog engine
- jekyllthemes for helping us find a suitable theme
- Pranav Raj S for his Swift theme