Wikimapia.org gives you a set of functions that can be used in your websites and applications for accumulated geographic data.
All data that is available to you through the API are open and accessible under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.
The Wikimapia API allows client applications or websites to view map data that stored in the Wikimapia database.
This project was created in order to facilitate your work with the API and give the opportunity to immediately use it without first thinking about the implementation of the connection to API.
Some examples of API usage:
- A module to display additional information about objects in GPS-navigate tool
- A website of historical places (see our news about historical layer!)
- A mobile application for tourists visiting other countries and towns
The Wikimapia API supports all most popular formats: XML, JSON, JSON-P, KML, Serialize, Binary.
Feel free to report bugs or fork & improve this code! Pull request are welcomed.
You can high five and follow this guys, who contribute to Wikimapia API clients:
- Mikhail azproduction Davydov: PHP client
- Andrey actionk Cherkashin: Java and C# clients
- James Michael h4ck3rm1k3 DuPont: Perl client
- Oleg Sannis Efimov: Node.js client, tests and consolidation all of this
All clients are published under MIT license. See license text in LICENSE file.