Tech writer toolkit
Resources and templates for tech writers.
Run the site locally
You will need the following installed on your machine:
Clone the repo:
git clone https://github.com/StarfallProjects/tech-writer-toolkit.git
We strongly recommend using a virtual environment, such as venv. Make sure to activate your virtual environment before installing the requirements (next step).
Navigate into the top level of the project and run:
pip install -r requirements.txt
This will install MkDocs, the Material theme, and other dependencies.
Run the project locally with:
Note: for small edits, you can make the changes directly in GitHub. Refer to this guide for more informtion. For larger changes (including anything that affects the site styling and layout), follow the steps below.
- Follow the steps to run the site locally. This allows you to preview your work.
- Create a new branch. Keep it short but descriptive. If working on an issue, include the issue number.
git branch -b <branchName>
- Make your additions or changes.
- Check your changes locally.
- Push your changes to GitHub:
git add * git commit -m "brief description of change, include issue number" git push --set-upstream origin <branchName>