Node.js Site Templates for WebMatrix
- Install WebMatrix. This is a free, lightweight IDE from Microsoft, that can be used to build sites with ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js, and more.
- Follow Tomasz's instructions to install IISNode for IIS Express. Read the instructions carefully and be sure to use a 32-bit command prompt when running
install_iisexpress.bat, as the instructions specify.
- Download and run the Node.js Site Templates for WebMatrix installer.
Note: we're working on making this install process much easier :)
Once you've installed the above three items, you can launch WebMatrix (from your Start menu), choose to create a Site from Template, and you'll be able to pick from these Node.js templates:
- Empty Node.js Site - start with a minimal, single-file application, and no dependencies. By default it just sends the string
Hello worldto the browser.
- Node.js Express Site - use Express, an MVC-style application framework, to create a site with routing and templating. Currently this template sets you up with the Jade view engine by default, and gives you a simple starting point with a "Home" and an "About" page.
To run your site, choose "Run" from the WebMatrix toolbar.