New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Feature request:linked templates #65

Closed
ldperron opened this Issue Feb 6, 2014 · 3 comments

Comments

Projects
None yet
2 participants
@ldperron

ldperron commented Feb 6, 2014

I found out the "clone of" feature very useful, but I wish to bring it to an higher level.

The idea is quite simple: it's to be able to link a DNS master zone to a single template.
The zone will first inherits all records from the template.
The zone will then removes the records that has a "negative" override. (say "don't inherit")
The zone will then override all the records that are defined both within itself and within the template.
The zone will then have the additionnal records that are only defined within itself

Of course, when we edit a template, all the zones that links to that template will get updated, using the previous rules.

Like that, we will be able to directly represent our needs, where 95% of the zones are the exactly the same, and the other 5% has only little difference, such as a different MX records.

Thanks

@WillyXJ WillyXJ added feature labels Feb 6, 2014

@WillyXJ

This comment has been minimized.

Owner

WillyXJ commented Feb 6, 2014

This is a good suggestion and should be doable. I have a similar idea for fmFirewall so I will probably code this feature into both modules at the same time.

@WillyXJ

This comment has been minimized.

Owner

WillyXJ commented Apr 18, 2014

This has been implemented in fmDNS 1.2.

@WillyXJ

This comment has been minimized.

Owner

WillyXJ commented Apr 20, 2014

This request is fulfilled in the upcoming release except for your request to override records that exist in the template and cloned zone. Because multiple records for the same record name can exist and are valid, it's best to have the user skip the unwanted records.

@WillyXJ WillyXJ closed this Apr 20, 2014

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment