The WorldWindEarth | Explorer geo-browser provides a convenient interface for interacting with maps, imagery and geospatial data in the context of a 3D globe or a 2D map. Several components allow you to control the display of the Explorer.
The layout of the Explorer is comprised of four components:
- A main menu displayed at the top of the browser window
- A main window that displays geospatial data on a globe or 2D map
- A collapsible, resizeable left panel that displays collections of domain specific content
- A collapsible, resizeable bottom panel that displays content about the selected item
- Layers: Toggles the display of the layer list/manager where you control the content displayed on the globe
- Markers: Toggles the display of the marker list where you can edit, delete or go to a marker
- Weather: Toggles the display of the weather scout list where you can edit, delete or goto a weather scout
- Settings: Toggles the display of the settings panel where you configure the Explorer
- Info: Toggles the display of the information panel that displays data for the currently selected item on the globe
- Place Finder: Enter a place name and click Go to and the globe will center the crosshairs on the place
- Share/Bookmark: Displays a bookmarkable URL that you can copy/share
- Projections: Switches the display from a 3D globe to one of several 2D map projections
Displays collections of domain specific data. The left panel can be resized by dragging the window splitter.
Displays collections of data for the selected item on the globe. The bottom panel can be resized by dragging the window splitter.
Displays the virtual globe or a 3D map projection.
The position under the crosshairs is display in the Location Widget (lower right) and is used to compute the current time displayed in the Time Widget (lower left).
Displays the temporal data for the position under the crosshairs.
Displays the spatial data for the position under the crosshairs.
Markers can be added to the globe to provide quick navigation to a place or to call out an interesting location.
- Open the dropdown list to select a marker style for the marker tool
- To add a marker to the globe, click the currently selected marker icon and then click globe at the location the marker should be placed
Weather Scout Tool
Weather Scouts can be added to the globe which display US National Weather Service point weather forecast at their location.
- To add a weather scout to the globe, click the cloud icon and then click globe at the location the weather forecast is should be made
A set of view controls are displayed in the upper left that provide buttons to zoom, tilt, rotate the globe and to apply vertical exaggeration to the terrain.