Balanced Status Dashboard
The status page consists of several sections:
- The top portion displays the service name and an icon for its current state
- The upper middle portion displays the uptime as a percentage of non-error requests over the last 30 days
- The middle portion displays informational messages
- The lower portion displays issues with behavior
- The top left hand corner allows users to subscribe to notifications on service UP and DOWN via EMAIL and SMS
Message Display Behavior
Messages are fed into the system via the @balancedstatus Twitter account.
Messages take the format
<SYSTEM>-<STATE>: <MESSAGE>; e.g.
DASH-UP: Everything is normal
API-ISSUE: We are experiencing network latency
API-DOWN: Database disks caught fire
JS: Read our postmortem at: http://goo.gl/hV7gVh
SYSTEM is one of
STATE (OPTIONAL) is one of
Messages with a state are displayed in the lower portion of the page
DOWN messages will change the icon of the
corresponding service. These messages must be followed by an
UP state message
in order to revert the displayed icon to its natural state.
Messages without a state are displayed in the upper middle portion of the page for 24 hours.
System state behavior
The state of a system will be degraded as described in the above section,
additionally if the number of successful requests served in the last 5
minutes drops below 99% then the system will automatically go into an
state, if the number of successful requests in the same period drops below
90% then the system will be in the
python tests/__init__.py /usr/local/google_appengine/ tests