This is the list of basic things I think you might need when starting with your first baby. I asked lots of friends and tried to combine all that knowledge into one big list.
If you think there are things missing, feel free to send a pull request.
- 4-5 bottles with nipple for newborn
- bottle warmer
- microwave steam sterilizer
- bottle drying rack
- baby monitor
- 4 pacifier for newborn
- heat lamp for the changing table
- nursing pads
- sanitary napkins
- 3 packs of diapers, size 1
- 1 pack of infant formula for newborns just to be on the safe side. If you decided not to breast feed, buy more. Here in Germany you want to buy formula classified as "HA Pre". "HA" stands for "hypoallergen" and basically means it is suited even for kids with allergy problems.
- thermos bottle for hot water and one clean glas bottle for boiled water. You mix both to have the ideal temperature for the preparation of the formula food.
- some form of carry system. There are tons out there and you might need to try a couple of them to find something you like. We use an emeibaby.
- ointment for skin irritations of the baby
- Pure almond oil. Perfect to clean the baby after it did number 2. Do not use any creams, most times water is enough.
- lots of muslin nappies/swaddle blankets, at least 12 of them
- baby bed
- baby sleeping bag
- baby bath tub
You also need some clothes for the baby. This depends a lot on your taste and the season your baby is born in. Buy at least 10 outfits for the baby. In the beginning you will change the clothes a lot and you don't want to run out of things to wear for your little one. If you are lucky you can get lots of clothes from friends who already had a baby. We love our bodysuits by Tom & Jenny.