Game jam entry for Ludum Dare 29 theme: "Beneath the Surface", 25-28 April 2014.
Anton Gerdelan (code, pix) @capnramses
Tom Snively (music loops) @tomsnively
Entry URL in LD29: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=30024
On-line URL (so you can play it now): http://antongerdelan.net/mountain_king/
This is a 2d WebGL game, and my second Ludum Dare game in this format - I did "Dolphin Rescue" for LD28. I wanted to team up to do audio with Tom so entered the 2-day Jam event rather than the 48hr main event. I was pretty tired so I was happy to have the second day to tidy up code and do the audio nicely. The game ranked really well in Fun/Audio/Humour.
The game draws on one or two elements from:
- Digger (1983) http://youtu.be/dAlxnHRoGfM
- Snarf (1988) http://youtu.be/oSIIt3WHkmE
- Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion (1991) http://youtu.be/9Bo_dpRk3So
- Crystal Caves (1991) http://youtu.be/iE9GVn2mjs8
- Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold (1993) http://youtu.be/OQEUV5FAp6g
The audio is better than Dolphin's but HTML5 audio still isn't great - there needs to be a way to pre-buffer the sounds nicely so that there is no delay between the WAV download and the first sound playing.