Penguin Subtitle Player is an open-source, cross-platform standalone subtitle player, as an alternative to Greenfish Subtitle Player, SrtViewer (Mac), SRTPlayer, JustSubsPlayer and Free Subtitle Player.
You download the subtitle file (
.ass) from any sites you like and load it into the subtitle player. The subtitle player provides a translucent window which always stays on the top so that subtitles can be shown on top of the video without blocking anything.
With Penguin Subtitle Player, just open your favorite online streaming site, load the subtitle file into the player, and enjoy.
- 700+ encoding supported (default: UTF8)
- Auto encoding detection
- Multiple subtitle formats supported (
- Drag & drop file
- Customizable layout (Frame size, Background color & Opacity, Font style)
- Time fine tuning (Fast forward / backward with customizable time interval)
- Skip to previous / next subtitle
Current Version: 1.0.0
- Mac OS X
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt update sudo apt install penguin-subtitle-player
su dnf -y copr enable davidva/penguin-subtitle-player && dnf -y install penguin-subtitle-player
- Standalone version (not recommended)
See GitHub Release.
No installation required.
Q: "MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer." on Windows
A: Download and install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012
Q: Does it show on the top of both HTML5 fullscreen and Flash fullscreen players?
A: It is tested and confirmed working in Windows, Linux and Mac OSX for both HTML5 and Flash.
Q: Why does the transparency/opacity feature not work for me on Linux?
A: You need to have a compositing window manager set up and enabled.
Penguin Subtitle Player is a Qt5 project. The executables include statically compiled Qt libraries.
- uchardet-enhanced: Auto charset detection.
- Windows: VC++ 2012
- Linux: G++
- Mac OSX: G++
Check here for deployment details.
The easy way
- Download Qt with Qt Creator here
- Open the .pro file in Qt Creator
- You should be good to go (In case of some weird compilation errors, turn off the shadow build option in projects build settings)
The hard way
- Download Qt (Qt Creator is not required) here
- Run qmake
- Build from the makefile generated by qmake
- G++ (Linux, Mac OSX):
- VC++ (Windows):
- MinGW (Windows):
- G++ (Linux, Mac OSX):
- You should see the executable under
In case you would like to deploy a version which does not require Qt libraries in the client's system, consider statically build Qt then
qmake with the
static option, or change the config line in
CONFIG += static \ c++11
- Fork it!
- Create your feature branch:
git checkout -b my-new-feature
- Commit your changes:
git commit -am 'Add some feature'
- Push to the branch:
git push origin my-new-feature
- Submit a pull request :D
Carson Ip, LMH, Kwanjai
Code released under the GNU General Public License version 3.