Skip to content

Major version bump #50

Closed
sferik opened this Issue Apr 2, 2013 · 4 comments

3 participants

@sferik
sferik commented Apr 2, 2013

The delayed_job project, from which this codebase is derived, dates back to 2009. This particular gem was released in 2011 and has thousands of users running it in production.

Quoting from the Semantic Versioning FAQ:

If your software is being used in production, it should probably already be 1.0.0. If you have a stable API on which users have come to depend, you should be 1.0.0. If you're worrying a lot about backwards compatibility, you should probably already be 1.0.0.

By this definition, this library should already be 1.0.0.

I have experimented with releasing 4.0.0.beta versions of this gem, to bring the versioning in line with delayed_job and rails both of which are in 4.0.0.beta. That said, I'm not set on making the big jump to 4.0.0, especially if we're planning to maintain compatibility with earlier versions of delayed_job and rails, as we seem to have been able to achieve with #49.

Is there any compelling reason to ship another patch (0.4.5) or minor (0.5.0) version before making the jump to 1.0.0 or 4.0.0?

My only hesitation is to wait until delayed_job and rails release 4.0.0 versions, to ensure we are compatible with the final releases, not just the betas.

@sferik
sferik commented Apr 2, 2013

To provide another data point: delayed_job_mongoid, which parallels this gem, is currently in version 2.0.0.

@albus522
Collective Idea member
albus522 commented Apr 2, 2013

My thoughts at the moment are:

  • We are definitely at least 1.0.0
  • I am concerned that if we jump to 4.0.0 people will think they have to use DJ 4.0.0 which is not currently the case.
  • I have no problem waiting for DJ 4 and/or Rails 4. Rails 4 will likely drop end of the month and DJ 4 is whenever we are ready or more likely just after Rails 4.
  • I am currently leaning towards 1.0.0 but am not attached to it.
@sferik
sferik commented Apr 2, 2013

Sounds like we're in total agreement.

@carlosantoniodasilva

I believe this can be closed now that 4.0.0 has been released right?

@albus522 albus522 closed this Aug 12, 2013
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Something went wrong with that request. Please try again.