Angulex - Particle Designer for Starling
Starling http://gamua.com/starling/ is a free open-source framework written in ActionScript 3 that mimics the Flash display list, but renders on GPU using the Flash Stage3D technology. It's primary use is building 2D Games that run on iOS, Android and Desktop using Adobe AIR.
###The "Why?" part
Starling has a powerful Particle engine, but the tools for designing the effects are few and lack the functionality I would like to use. This is a tool I am building for myself, but hope others will find useful.
Build a design tool that will let me combine different particles with animated elements.
Key functionality I want:
- Design the effects directly on Tablets (iPad), so I can see the performance first hand, reducing the testing time.
- Save the effects offline and when a connection is available push to my server.
- Create a library of effects other GameDevs can use in their games.
- Load/export graphics and .pex file to/from DropBox and Google Drive.
###Bonus unnecessary functionality, but very cool
Designing on one screen, and show up on another in real time, using rtmfp p2p technology.
- IDE - FlashDevelop 188.8.131.52
- Language - ActionScript 3.
- Runtime - Adobe AIR 19 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_AIR
- Framework - Starling http://gamua.com/starling/
- Particle System - FFParticleSystem http://www.flintfabrik.de/blog/improved-particle-system-for-starling
###When & where?
While I had this tool in the back of my head for some time, the first lines of code were written at HackTM2015 Hackathon, on 6 November 2015 at around 20:30 in the company of over 300 hackers/geeks in Timisoara Romania.