BP Restrict Signup by Email Domain
User registration spam is prevalent in BuddyPress.
One way to dramatically decrease signup spam is to restrict the email address domains that users can sign up with.
WordPress multi-site has a native option called Limited Email Registrations. But this option requires you to enter the full email domain. For example, if you only wanted to allow
.edu email addresses to register, this is not possible.
This plugin restricts registrations to the email domains that you specify and works in WordPress single-site and multi-site.
Plugin was developed for the CUNY Academic Commons. Licensed under the GPLv2 or later.
Tested on BuddyPress 2.5, but should work down to BuddyPress 1.6.
How to use?
- Download, install and activate this plugin.
- Login to the WP admin dashboard and navigate to the Settings > BuddyPress page. Next, click on the Options tab. (If you're using BuddyPress 2.4 or lower, click on the Settings tab).
- You should see a new section called Email Address Restrictions.
- Under Whitelist Email Domains, list the email domains that users can register with.
eg. If you type in:
``` .edu .org mycustomdomain.com ```
This will only allow users with
mycustomdomain.comemail addresses to register on the site. Any other email address will be blocked from registration.
- To customize the error message and registration blurb, edit the other two fields. See screenshot below.
1.0.0 - Initial release.
GPLv2 or later.