The Way of the VimL Wizard
A suggested path for learning Vim's scripting language, VimL.
This help file teaches the VimL scripting language using a progressive set of reading assignments and followup hands-on exercises. It is aimed primarily at existing programmers, however beginners can do the external tutorials referenced within.
- is written in Vim help format, internal to Vim itself
- has comprehensive coverage of VimL, from basics to the gritty stuff with maps, :redir, plugins, etc.
- relies heavily on the existing Vim documentation with assessment questions, exercises and challenges to reinforce learning
- comes with a searchable set of sample code snippets covering the builtin functions and idiomatic VimL
- authored by a group of experienced VimL coders, each sharing their individual skills, tips and tricks to rapidly steer you toward VimL excellence.
Linux / OS X:
Copy http://github.com/dahu/LearnVimL/raw/master/doc/learnviml.txt to your ~/.vim/doc/ directory.
Copy http://github.com/dahu/LearnVimL/raw/master/doc/learnviml.txt to your $HOME\vimfiles\doc\ directory.
Run :helptags ~/.vim/doc/ from within Vim. Type :help learnviml to get started.