The Rana Theme is a simple app-like mobile first and content-focused Grav theme for Grav CMS. To see the full capabilities of this theme, it is highly recommended to use the breadcrumbs plugin as well as TNT-search plugin.
A simple app-like mobile first and content-focused Grav theme which is also optimized for large screens.
- Applike touch enabled slideout navigation menu using slideout.js
- A structured menu for many subpages optimized for mobile using metismenu
- Provides templated and native support for breadcrumbs plugin and [TNT-search plugin](https://github.com/trilbymedia/
- Includes pure css
The theme provides several options. If you are using the admin panel, you can easily modify these settings under Themes > Rana. If you are not using admin, you probably know where to modify these settings directly.
- Title in Menu. To keep it very simple, you can provide a HTML-string with inline styles here. This turned out to be the easiest solution to have a nice styling for different names. If you do not worry about styling, just enter a short title.
Markdown Notices Settings
- Markdown notice Settings. If you use the Markdown-notices plugin without the build-in-css (disable built-in-css in plugin options), the Rana theme will automatically use its own styles for the notices. These include a small text. You can specify here, which text appears above the respective notice.
- Desktop Mode. If enabled, the off-canvas-menu is always open if screen is wider than the
Desktop min widthvalue, which can be set below.
- Desktop min width (pixels). Applies only in desktop mode. If the screen width is wider than the given amount of pixels, the off-canvas menu is always open.
- Parent pages routable in menu. If you have pages with subpages and you want these parent-pages to be accessible from the menu because you like to place content there, you can use this option. The page will only be opened, if it existis and if you do not set
routable: falsein the frontmatter of the page. Otherwise, the subpages are only expanded in the menu. **Please note: ** If you do not use Desktop Mode or - when in Desktop Mode - the screen-width is smaller then the amount set above, the menu closes each time you click a routable parent.
Installing the Rana theme can be done in one of two ways. Our GPM (Grav Package Manager) installation method enables you to quickly and easily install the theme with a simple terminal command, while the manual method enables you to do so via a zip file.
GPM Installation (Preferred)
The simplest way to install this theme is via the Grav Package Manager (GPM) through your system's Terminal (also called the command line). From the root of your Grav install type:
bin/gpm install rana
This will install the Rana theme into your
/user/themes directory within Grav. Its files can be found under
To install this theme, just download the zip version of this repository and unzip it under
/your/site/grav/user/themes. Then, rename the folder to
Rana. You can find these files either on GitHub or via GetGrav.org.
You should now have all the theme files under
As development for the Rana theme continues, new versions may become available that add additional features and functionality, improve compatibility with newer Grav releases, and generally provide a better user experience. Updating Rana is easy, and can be done through Grav's GPM system, as well as manually.
GPM Update (Preferred)
The simplest way to update this theme is via the Grav Package Manager (GPM). You can do this with this by navigating to the root directory of your Grav install using your system's Terminal (also called command line) and typing the following:
bin/gpm update Rana
This command will check your Grav install to see if your Rana theme is due for an update. If a newer release is found, you will be asked whether or not you wish to update. To continue, type
y and hit enter. The theme will automatically update and clear Grav's cache.
Manually updating Rana is pretty simple. Here is what you will need to do to get this done:
- Delete the
- Download the new version of the Rana theme from either GitHub or GetGrav.org.
- Unzip the zip file in
your/site/user/themesand rename the resulting folder to
- Clear the Grav cache. The simplest way to do this is by going to the root Grav directory in terminal and typing
Note: Any changes you have made to any of the files listed under this directory will also be removed and replaced by the new set. Any files located elsewhere (for example a YAML settings file placed in
user/config/themes) will remain intact.
The theme was developed to provide learning materials and course information to students. It is focused on the content, so it is kept very simple.
- Breadcrumbs if the breadcrumbs plugin is used.
- TNT-Search with searchbar, and decent styling of search results
- An applike touch slideout navigation menu using Slideout.js
- A structured menu for many subpages optimized for mobile using Metismenu
- No distraction, only content
Table of Contents
Beside a default template Rana comes with only one additional template to easily generate a decimal structured table of contents. I actually did not use a template for this, but for the release I included one. If you prefer, you may use any plugin to generate a full table of contents of the page. However, I usually need to provide a different TOC of my courses for my students that basically has nothing to do with the structure of the page.
Just write Markdown like this to generate a decimal structure.
1. First part 1. Subpart of first part 1. Some other section 1. Dive into this topic 1. And stay at this level 1. Limits and other things 1. Applications in Science 1. Second part 1. ...
which renders like:
1. First part 1.1 Subpart of first part 1.2 Some other section 1.2.1 Dive into this topic 1.2.2 And stay at this level 1.3 Limits and other things 1.4 Applications in Science 2. Second part ...
Actually you dont even need this template. To generate the TOC without the template, you may simply enable Markdown-Extra and wrap the above Markdown in a
<div class="toc-page" markdown="1"> ... </div>
Only three settings are provided:
- Page Title shown in the Menu. To keep it very simple, you need to provide a HTML-String with inline styles here. This turned out to be the easiest solution to have a nice styling for different course names.
- Hamburger Animation: You may use any other animation style. See here for reference.