A macOS screensaver that displays the time in the form of literary quotes. Inspired by the Literary Clock Made from E-Reader project. Quote-to-time mapping data are sourced from this project.
This is still a heavy work in progress
The challenges going forward are:
- styling the text, especially around differentiating the portion of the quote which represents the time (this would be easy on the web, but I don't think one can simply bold text in the middle of a string drawn to an
- resizing the text based on the amount, and wrapping text to a new line where it makes sense.
- reworking the data structure used to store the quotes (thinking a dictionary
📖would be good, where the keys are the time and the values are the array of associated quotes; this would give us O(1) access times and an easy way to randomise a quote if we have multiple to choose from.
- accounting for different screen sizes (currently works on a 15" Retina display or up, set to a 1650x1080 resolution equivalent).
- adding more themes and customisable styling.
I've only been at it for a day, but it's been a super fun learning exercise and a great excuse to get back into Swift
An early release is now available! Check it out if you're brave enough.
A beta is now out! The major change from 0.1 is the addition of different styling for the time portion of the quote.