.NET Core 2.1/3.1
- dotnet/core/sdk: .NET Core SDK
- dotnet/core/aspnet: ASP.NET Core Runtime
- dotnet/core/runtime: .NET Core Runtime
- dotnet/core/runtime-deps: .NET Core Runtime Dependencies
- dotnet/core/samples: .NET Core Samples
- dotnet/sdk: .NET SDK
- dotnet/aspnet: ASP.NET Core Runtime
- dotnet/runtime: .NET Runtime
- dotnet/runtime-deps: .NET Runtime Dependencies
.NET is a general purpose development platform maintained by Microsoft and the .NET community on GitHub. It is cross-platform, supporting Windows, macOS and Linux, and can be used in device, cloud, and embedded/IoT scenarios.
.NET has several capabilities that make development easier, including automatic memory management, (runtime) generic types, reflection, asynchrony, concurrency, and native interop. Millions of developers take advantage of these capabilities to efficiently build high-quality applications.
You can use C# to write .NET apps. C# is simple, powerful, type-safe, and object-oriented while retaining the expressiveness and elegance of C-style languages. Anyone familiar with C and similar languages will find it straightforward to write in C#.
.NET is open source (MIT and Apache 2 licenses) and was contributed to the .NET Foundation by Microsoft in 2014. It can be freely adopted by individuals and companies, including for personal, academic or commercial purposes. Multiple companies use .NET as part of apps, tools, new platforms and hosting services.
You are invited to contribute new features, fixes, or updates, large or small; we are always thrilled to receive pull requests, and do our best to process them as fast as we can.
Watch dotnet/announcements for Docker-related .NET announcements.
How to Use the Images
Container sample: Run a simple application
Type the following command to run a sample console application:
docker run --rm mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/core/samples
Container sample: Run a web application
Type the following command to run a sample web application:
docker run -it --rm -p 8000:80 --name aspnetcore_sample mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/core/samples:aspnetapp
After the application starts, navigate to
http://localhost:8000 in your web browser.
See Hosting ASP.NET Core Images with Docker over HTTPS to use HTTPS with this image.
- dotnet/framework: .NET Framework, ASP.NET and WCF
- dotnet/framework/samples: .NET Framework, ASP.NET and WCF Samples
See Microsoft Support for .NET for the support lifecycle.
Image Update Policy
- We update the supported .NET images within 12 hours of any updates to their base images (e.g. debian:buster-slim, windows/nanoserver:1909, buildpack-deps:bionic-scm, etc.).
- We publish .NET images as part of releasing new versions of .NET including major/minor and servicing.
- File a .NET Docker issue
- File a .NET issue
- File an ASP.NET Core issue
- File an issue for other .NET components
- File a Visual Studio Docker Tools issue
- File a Microsoft Container Registry (MCR) issue
- Ask on Stack Overflow
- Contact Microsoft Support