Geth v1.9.7 is our almost-usual biweekly maintenance release (one release skipped due to Devcon).
This release is a bit more special, however, as it finally initializes the Ethereum mainnet Istanbul fork block 9069000, targeted to arrive around the 4th of December! Please update your mainnet Geth nodes to v1.9.7 (or newer) as soon as possible to avoid surprises!
Beside hard-coding Istanbul, we've shipped:
- Enforce proper fork orders to avoid partially initialized private networks (#20169).
eth/64, extending the protocol handshake with a
- Integrate Istanbul configuration support into
puppethfor private networks (#19926).
- Small tweaks to the ABI to Go binding generator to correctly handle more types (#20179).
- Various internal light client capacity accounting optimizations for fairer servicing (#20077).
- Remove some unnecessary redundancy from internal state sync data structures (#19929).
- Avoid some unnecessary memory copying in the EVM, speeding up certain opcodes (#20177).
- Extend the
forkidvalidation to catch two more corner cases, courtesy of @ritzdorf (#20220).
- Continue work towards the DNS and ENR based secondary discovery protocol (#20168, #20132).
- Rework the PPA dependency management, supporting the latest Go releases from now on (#20240).
- Fix a tiny data race in the downloader (#20204).
- Fix some parsing issues in the EVM assembly parser (#20210).
- Fix IPC paths in Clef on Windows to use proper Windows pipes and not Unix pipes (#20166).
- Fix an issue where 2 config file fields were always overwritten by the CLI, even if unset (#20167).
- Fix the
evmbinary so that it gracefully ignores useless whitespace around code snippets (#20211).
- Fix a gas estimation issue for contracts that check
tx.gaspricewhen using the Go bindings (#20189).
There is also an ongoing effort of porting over all our documentations from the GitHub Wiki pages, cleaning out stale information, getting relevant things up to date (#20229). It's a lot of work and we don't even know where to start, so contributions are more than welcome!
For a full rundown of the changes please consult the Geth 1.9.7 release milestone.
As with all our previous releases, you can find the: