The Ethereum Homestead Guide is the reference documentation accompanying the Homestead release of the Ethereum project.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Homestead Documentation Initiative
It doesn't matter if you are a beginner or an expert, there are many ways to help.
Write Content to the Guide
Help transfer and update content from the Ethereum Wiki, Ethereum Frontier Guide, the Ethereum Stack Exchange, or any other reputable source to relevant pages of the Homestead guide. Alternatively, write your own content for the guide based on experience.
Make sure the documentation you are porting over is still accurate and follows our guidelines for the Homestead docs (https://ethereum-homestead.readthedocs.org/en/latest/about.html).
Review What Has Been Written
Have a look at our guide (https://ethereum-homestead.readthedocs.org/en/latest/) and give us feedback by visiting our Gitter Chatroom (https://gitter.im/ethereum/homestead-guide) or submit a pull request or issue to this repo. Too EZ.
What's In It For Me?
Your name will forever be immortalized, both in my heart and on the Contributors page in the guide. As a side effect, you may also get those good feels that you get when you help improve documentation :-)
This project uses Sphinx (http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/index.html) to build html that is published to Read the Docs. To run this documentation on your computer, you should do the following:
- Python 2.6 or later
Install Sphinx, etc
For OSX/Linux users (based on instructions here: https://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started.html)
- From command line:
sudo pip install sphinx
For Windows users:
Get source code
Build and view html
- In a terminal window, go to your homestead-guide directory.
open index.html(open in web browser)
- Tip: each time you run
make html, just reload your browser to view changes
- Homestead Guide online: https://ethereum-homestead.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html
- Github: https://github.com/ethereum/homestead-guide
- Gitter: https://gitter.im/ethereum/homestead-guide
- Google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rVjrNgaDRAQdPp4rGqWrEk5fPgiHff0xsYGCyf06oM8/edit
- Ethereum Wiki: https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki
- Frontier Guide: https://ethereum.gitbooks.io/frontier-guide/content/ (see below for converted files)
- Souptacular's Giant List of Ethereum Resources: https://souptacular.gitbooks.io/ethereum-tutorials-and-tips-by-hudson/content/giant_ethereum_resource_list.html
Read the Docs and Sphinx
- Read the Docs: https://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started.html
- Sphinx docs: http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/contents.html
- reStructuredText Primer: http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/rest.html
- RST cheat sheet: https://github.com/ralsina/rst-cheatsheet/blob/master/rst-cheatsheet.rst
homestead-guide build - workdir, not commited to repo source - actual content in rst conf.py - sphinx configuration old-docs-for-reference (Frontier era stuff) wiki - the legacy wiki gitbook - the legacy gitbook resources (converted to rst) make.bat - windows command to build docs Makefile - platforms with make to build docs
Roadmap for Homestead Guide (Old)
- boilerplate using sphinx-quickstart
- settings in conf.py
- code up index with proposed structure
- compile/deploy on readthedocs
- include cheatsheat, rst/sphinx/readthedocs resources
- reach out to community reddit - homestead documentation initiative
- allocate chapters to people (ideally author and reviewer)
- migrate old wiki under frontier/wiki (all md files converted to rst)
- migrate old frontier-guide content under frontier/gitbook (all md content converted to rst)
- script to annotate entire wiki with legacy warning
Strategy for migrating old fronter-guide content (Old)
- temporaritly include resources about the documentation project within the book itself * rst cheatsheet * rst/sphinx/readthedocs resources * compilation/deployment instructions * link to issues and process * style guide, conventions
- include the rst conversion of the wiki
- include the rst conversion of the gitbook