Floodlight is the leading open source SDN controller. It is supported by a community of developers including a number of engineers from Big Switch Networks (http://www.bigswitch.com/).
OpenFlow is a open standard managed by Open Networking Foundation. It specifies a protocol through switch a remote controller can modify the behavior of networking devices through a well-defined “forwarding instruction set”. Floodlight is designed to work with the growing number of switches, routers, virtual witches, and access points that support the OpenFlow standard.
- Offers a module loading system that make it simple to extend and enhance.
- Easy to set up with minimal dependencies
- Supports a broad range of virtual- and physical- OpenFlow switches
- Can handle mixed OpenFlow and non-OpenFlow networks – it can manage multiple “islands” of OpenFlow hardware switches
- Designed to be high-performance – is the core of a commercial product from Big Switch Networks.
- Support for OpenStack Quantum cloud orchestration platform}
To download a pre-built VM appliance, access documentation, and sign up for the mailing list, go to: