The Cube is a USB powered, smart RGB LED Cube kit, with a serial command interface for direct control and learning, an open source driver library and an on-board Arduino compatible MCU running the whole show!
The Cube was designed using the open source KiCad schematic and pcb design package: http://www.kicad-pcb.org
The schematic pages have been carefully laid out to make it easy to follow and learn about a larger microcontroller based project design in operation.
- Power and control by USB commands straight from your computer (Windows, Mac or Linux)
- Expansion port connector for sensors, joysticks, game and interface add ons
- Onboard ATmega32u4 MCU (Arduino Leonardo compatible)
- USB interface for uploading new sketches and sending serial commands
- Arduino driver library with example programs and animations at: https://github.com/freetronics/Cube4
- Includes ZigBee/XBee headers so you can add a wireless module (not included)
- Prototyping area with I2C, power and spare pins next to it
More information is available on our product page at:
This project is made up of 3 schematic and pcb project folders. Each folder within this repository includes a handy copy of the schematic in PDF format and image(s) of the main pcb.
The design is saved as a KiCad project. KiCad PCB design software is available from www.kicad-pcb.org free and open-source. To use this project download it and place the directories containing these files into the a folder on your computer. Then open KiCad and navigate to the *.pro (project) file for each section.
The specific terms of distribution of this project are governed by the license referenced below.
Licensed under the TAPR Open Hardware License (www.tapr.org/OHL). The "license" folder within this repository also contains a copy of this license in plain text format.