Brew Competition Online Entry & Management
Working repository of BCOE&M.
The Brew Competition Online Entry and Management (BCOE&M) system is an online application to assist homebrew competition organizers - of the beer/mead/cider variety - to collect, store, and manage their competition entry, organization, and scoring data.
The biggest challenges of organizing a homebrewing competition is knowing who has entered what and how many, organizing judging efficiently, and reporting the results of the competition in a timely manner. BCOE&M provides a single online interface to collect entry and participant data, organize judging tables and assignments, input scoring data, and report the results.
The best part: BCOE&M is free and open-source. Hundreds of competitions around the world have utilized BCOE&M since its first release back in 2009.
Install or Upgrade
After configuration to your environment, installation is a breeze via the online setup interface.
There are times when the online setup encounters issues that prevent the installation from successfully completing. That's why there's a Fallback Installation method. For those experiencing any issues related to the initial browser-based setup, the bcoem_baseline_2.1.X.sql document is available in the package's /sql/ folder. This document contains the necessary database structure and dummy data for a new installation that can be installed manually via phpMyAdmin or shell access. Be sure to follow the directions in the document BEFORE use.
Issue Reporting and Bug Fixes
Many bugs and issues reported to this repository are corrected before an official release is available. Before reporting a bug, be sure to check the Issues list to see if it has been addressed already. If it has, chances are the latest commit package contains code to fix the issue. Keep an eye out for the fixed in latest master commit tag. Needless to say, however, the master and other branch commits housed here in the repository are NOT FOR PRODUCTION! Bugs may be present.
Help and Resources
Help is integrated into the application. Just look for the question-mark icon in the main navigation.
There is also a growing number of instructive resources available on the companion website for various options, including the following:
- Competition Organization with BCOE&M - an end to end guide to using BCOE&M as your main organizational tool
- Load Libraries Locally - disable CDN loading of external libraries such as jQuery, Bootstrap, DataTables, etc.
- Upload Scanned Judges' Scoresheets - procedure for scanning and uploading scoresheets to make available to entrants via BCOE&M
- Reset Competition Information - get your site ready for your next competition iteration
- Barcode or QR Code Entry Check-in - utilize the barcode/QR code enabled bottle labels to efficiently check-in entries
- Implement PayPal Instant Payment Notifications - receive and process PayPal payment data to update entrant payment status instantly (releasing with version 2.1.10)
Fork and help out with the development!