Google Media Framework for Android
The Google Media Framework (GMF) is a lightweight media player designed to make video playback and integration with the Google Interactive Media Ads (IMA) SDK on Android easier.
The framework is currently in beta, allowing interested developers to try it out and send feedback before we finalize the APIs and features.
- A customizable video player UI for video playback on Android
- Logo and branding colors
- Action buttons within video UI for other actions (ex. share or download)
- Subtitle support
- Easily integrate the Google IMA SDK to enable advertising on your video content
- Built on top of ExoPlayer
Clone the repository
git clone https://github.com/googleads/google-media-framework-android.git GoogleMediaFramework
Then import the project in Android Studio (or build using Gradle via
You can also include GMF by adding the following in your project's
Note: this installs the underlying
mediaframework library. For the demo package with IMA
integration, please download or clone the source.
Please see the Javadoc
For a detailed description of the project, please see the wiki.
Where do I report issues?
Please report issues on the issues page.
If you have questions about the framework, you can ask them in our google group.
How do I contribute?
See CONTRIBUTING.md for details.
I want to use a newer version of Exoplayer
Change the version of ExoPlayer included in the googlemediaframework package's
Note: you may have to modify the code if any underlying ExoPlayer APIs have changed.
- Android 4.1+
- Gradle (1.12 or above)
- Android Studio (0.8 or above)
- Build tools version 19.1.0 (installed via SDK manager)
- Google Play Services version 4.3.23 or higher (installed via SDK manager)
- Google Repository (installed via SDK manager)
- ExoPlayer (Included as a jar file)