Versioning your Data and Scripts
Wednesday January 17, 2018
Authors: Radhika Khetani (rkhetani), Bob Freeman (devbioinfoguy), Amir Karger (amirkarger)
Tired of wading through files/folders titled 'paper_v1', 'paper_v2', 'paper_v3_beforeAdvisor'... ? This hands-on workshop will introduce the concepts of using a version control system to manage changes and the history of your data files (text, web, scripts, etc.).
- Please Download and install GitKraken.
- Create an account for yourself on GitHub. Please be sure to select the free/academic account, as this option has more long-term flexibility.
- Download the workshop sample files
- Introduction to Version Control
- Getting Started with Git using GitKraken
- Intermediate topics: Remote repositories, managing conflicts
Materials used in these lessons are derived from Daniel van Strien's "An Introduction to Version Control Using GitHub Desktop,", Programming Historian, (17 June 2016). The Programming Historian ISSN 2397-2068, is released under the Creative Commons Attribution license (CC BY 4.0).*
NOTE: These materials and the files within are governed by the Creative Commons Attribution license (CC BY 4.0).